DIY mini ugf in a jar

I was inspired by @R Budds' jar ugf. I already have experience with 1 under gravel filter and Safe-T-Sorb, so I figured I should try it in s smaller scale and diy a bunch of stuff. It may be a while before I get started as my health condition hasn't been great,  and I have to rely on family to assist.

Here is the jar in question.

Screenshot_20240629-105854.png.5bf68eb9ab11180492ea2c14f8c07dc6.png

Got it used. It is meant for betta but I was thinking shrimp or grow-out for fry. It will definitely have bladder snails and hornwort, which seems to love my setups. It has 2 flat sides, which make it hopefully easier to see inside.

Since the mouth is quite wide, I don't think I need to contour the uplift tube to the rounded sides of the bowl, but, it might look better. I have craft grid and small zip ties or fishing line, which I will use to piece things together. I am not handy with silicone nor crazy glue So, I am going with something easy to undo.

I don't like seeing the biofilm growing on the inside of uplift tubes, so I will make it out of black vinyl tubing. Short pieces of the same tubing attached vertically, or styrofoam strips under the grid will be used to support the weight of the 1.5 to 2 inch Safe-T-Sorb substrate. Will research if styrofoam is safe.

Haven't thought yet how to attach the tube to the grid. I have some funnel-like spare parts, and may play around with these for a while. I want the funnel/holder flexible enough to allow replacement of the uplift without undoing the whole thing.

I might leave a gap in the front for some sand, just because I like the look of it.

Not sure yet what to do about a lid. The jar will be placed on a shelf alongside these daphnia-moina jars, below. I just put nylon stocking over those to keep flying insects out. I might just cut the lid out of clear  plastic takeout containers.

20240627_0955162.jpg.1bed417a63c350d0633218b92606eb74.jpg

No heat. The. light is already in the shelf. It is under smart automation.

I can't wait to get started.

Edited by HelplessNewbie
  • Like 1

Sounds like a cool little project! I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes along (and maybe steal some of your ideas...)

On 6/29/2024 at 11:33 AM, HelplessNewbie said:

Short pieces of the same tubing attached vertically, or styrofoam strips under the grid will be used to support the weight of the 1.5 to 2 inch Safe-T-Sorb substrate. Will research if styrofoam is safe.

I've seen enough people on YouTube use bits of styrofoam under rocks, to keep them off the bottom glass, to suggest that it's totally inert. So I think you'd be fine to use it.

On 6/29/2024 at 1:18 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

I've seen enough people on YouTube use bits of styrofoam under rocks, to keep them off the bottom glass, to suggest that it's totally inert. So I think you'd be fine to use it.

Oh, cool! Thank you for saving me researching!

• Like 1

Side comment:

While shopping around for used aquarium stuff, I apparently offended a woman on FB. I shouldn't have bothered to, but I thought it was courteous to let her know I was going to pass on what she was selling. I didn't tell her I felt it was way overpriced, but I what I did say was that maybe after a week or so, if she hasn't sold it and willing to lower it, to reach out to me. She replied saying that she was not going to hunt people down to sell anything AND that's not how it works in this country. I take there was an insult intended somewhere there, referring to my non-Caucasian race, and immediately assuming I am not a citizen. I feel foolish and will certainly never contact her again.

• Sad 1

On 6/29/2024 at 3:48 PM, HelplessNewbie said:

Oh, cool! Thank you for saving me researching!

Found it! It was the first mbuna tank build. The foam panels go in at the 6:40 mark:

The tank has since been redone, but I think the styrofoam stayed in the rebuild, too.

That's a bummer about the unpleasant interaction on Facebook; I'm sorry to hear that.

On 6/29/2024 at 7:44 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

Found it! It was the first mbuna tank build. The foam panels go in at the 6:40 mark:

The tank has since been redone, but I think the styrofoam stayed in the rebuild, too.

That's a bummer about the unpleasant interaction on Facebook; I'm sorry to hear that.

I am definitely filing this away. I hadn't thought of using styrofoam in that way, to pad the bottom so heavy rocks don't crack the glass!

Thank you for empathizing with me, @Rube_Goldfish

I feel so welcome in this forum, so thank you, fellow members and to Cory and moderators for keeping the community alive and positive!

• Like 1

On 6/29/2024 at 5:24 PM, HelplessNewbie said:

Side comment:

While shopping around for used aquarium stuff, I apparently offended a woman on FB. I shouldn't have bothered to, but I thought it was courteous to let her know I was going to pass on what she was selling. I didn't tell her I felt it was way overpriced, but I what I did say was that maybe after a week or so, if she hasn't sold it and willing to lower it, to reach out to me. She replied saying that she was not going to hunt people down to sell anything AND that's not how it works in this country. I take there was an insult intended somewhere there, referring to my non-Caucasian race, and immediately assuming I am not a citizen. I feel foolish and will certainly never contact her again.

I often remind my friends, and myself sometimes, that 50% are below average on the IQ bell curve.  Sad that you had to encounter one in the wild.  Clearly she doesn’t understand how to sell things at all.  I’ve made the same type offer to other people and gotten the same type offer and never gotten or given that kind of reaction, so what she said was just nasty.  Encounters like that will help you appreciate this well-moderated forum, for sure.

I can’t remember now who, but I think a couple people have made UGF’s for bowls using loops of flexible tubing on the bottom with holes pierced through the tubing.  The tubing could lay under your mesh or you could build a “U” shape from rigid tubing like 1/2” PVC pipe drilled with fine holes.  You could even get the black or other colors of “furniture” PVC tubing and I believe you can get corner style 3 way fittings for that stuff.  Then a tube extending out to fit your bowl bottom section with caps on the end so they don’t fill with anything that shouldn’t be in there - shrimplets, fine gravel, plant roots, etc.

The “furniture” PVC isn’t cheap, even the 1/2” stuff, so regular PVC or flexible tubing and barb fittings would be FAR cheaper with flexible tubing being the least cost usually, especially since you already have a “T” barb fitting.

• Love 2

Posted (edited)

Well, here it is. Not sure if will work well. But, anyway, I tried.

I found left-over ugf plates, so, I just used 2 of those, one on top of the other.

The bottom plate has been cut to size, to better contour to the rounded glass bottom. There is some flex to the plate but I think it will be okay. It is held in place by a small piece of  large-pore foam. View from above:

Screenshot_20240702-202414.png.cba797e46d87b15bca7b2babccb00d72.png

The next level up is another plate. I wanted some way to hold the uplift "funnel" and tube flush to the plate, and keep gravel out when I pull up the uplift to service the airstone. I used two nested plant pots zip tied upside down, with the center cut out of their bottoms. The idea was that the leftover fingers keep the funnel in place, but still allows the funnel snd uplift to be removed.

One layer of "fingers" before nesting the 2nd plant pot):

Screenshot_20240702-203703.png.8c048e3667a0a0fe4e64eb8f4df56f3a.png

Side view (the funnel is a part from a defective water change bulb):

Screenshot_20240702-203251.png.185b6e449e3e1b347bfaffcd61ed9556.png

View from underside:

Screenshot_20240702-203519.png.f7af8e95c594839dd7cde0056c5155b9.png

Gravel was a freebie, so decided to use it here.

Back (gives me option to see into the plenum):

Screenshot_20240702-204254.png.d91e9112000e3d818baf9a4efbf118d9.png

Front:

Screenshot_20240702-204307.png.d8562785e83786d1af788b37a11f4dbf.png

Later on, I added a small bit of sand just where the foam was, a seeded sponge, ammonia, alkaline buffer (my tap has 0 kh). No photo, too tired.

I might layer on some additional gravel to cover the cage.

Screenshot_20240702-204258.png

Edited by HelplessNewbie
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2024 at 1:07 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

Are you unhappy with the looks or the function?

Both! It just seems too thick a gravel layer. It will take me weeks to get back to this. So, we'll see, maybe laziness will win the round.

• Like 1