Neotropical dwarf cichlid ideas

One of my tanks is a 29g community tank with guppies and zebra danios. I’m thinking of moving the danios to another tank, and putting one or more individuals of a hardy dwarf cichlid in there instead. I’ve considered kribensis (or dwarf gourami, or thick-lipped gourami), but if possible, I’d like to stick to a community from the same realm (in this case, Neotropical). It’s my understanding that rams and apistos are rather delicate and need temperatures in the 80s (unlike guppies), but what about the following species for a 29g:

- Dwarf flag cichlid (Laetacara curviceps)

- Goldeneye cichlid (Nannacara anomala)

- T-bar cichlid (Amatitlania sajica)

- Blue-eye cichlid (Cryptoheros cutteri)

We have an LFS that’s not super far away, that has a great selection of all these fish and more, as well as Aquarium Co-Op merchandise! So, which of these American dwarf cichlids would you recommend? Or which other species would you recommend?

• Love 1

My laetacara curviceps do great at 76. 
sorry hit submit to soon.  

I have a breeding pair in with two leftover Apisto borelli Opal girl and a remaining pair of Psuedomugil gertrudae. 
Very beautiful,  darling, personable fish. They eat from a pipette of coral feeder. They each come forward and wait their turn to eat. Simply wonderful fish.

I just put an order in on my lfs “if they can please order” list for Nannacara anomala.  Will be my first go at them so can’t say much other than beautiful fish. They used to be very popular in the 80s for their community peaceful temperament and hardiness. 

Mikrogeophagus altispinosus (Bolivian ram) can tolerate regular community temps and are extremely peaceful.  I have a breeding group of 6 in with my Rohanella titteya. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 6/27/2024 at 7:19 PM, Guppysnail said:

Mikrogeophagus altispinosus (Bolivian ram) can tolerate regular community temps and are extremely peaceful.  I have a breeding group of 6 in with my Rohanella titteya.

Thanks for that information!

So you think Bolivian rams are hardy as well then?

(I had a GBR once, but he didn’t last long, and I’m leary of trying them again.)

What about a keyhole cichlid? Would a 29g be enough for one of those, and are they pretty hardy?

• Like 1

On 6/27/2024 at 9:15 PM, AtomicSunfish said:

Thanks for that information!

So you think Bolivian rams are hardy as well then?

(I had a GBR once, but he didn’t last long, and I’m leary of trying them again.)

What about a keyhole cichlid? Would a 29g be enough for one of those, and are they pretty hardy?

German blues are delicate. Depends where you get Bolivians. My first group came in sickly. My second group are fabulous.  Very hardy. Breed like crazy and have the most adorable pouty facec ever 🥰 I have tons of babies now who seem crazy hardy. B15F0A35-48A7-4B3E-81CC-D12DD88803E4.jpeg.da6a22996f5899e29fab2b8f24dd3811.jpeg

I’ve not kept keyholes. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1