How to split medication

Cjbear087

Hi guys so I’m about to dose Maracyn 1 into my tank but I have a 15gal and the packets treat 10gal each. I was wondering what’s the simplest way to get half a packet accurately. I tried measuring with a scale but the amount of powder is so minuscule that the scale just thinks it’s one gram because it rounds up so this method doesn’t work. If anyone has any other options let me know. Thanks

Pour the meds onto a paper plate or smooth surface. Split the pile in half best you can.  Use the whole packet and one small pile. You will be fine using this method. 

These meds are not dosed to extreme accuracy.  Subtract the substrate decor plants and how far it is from water line to top and no one even using whole packets can dose 100% accurate.  

edit for gallon size sorry. 

You can invest in a gram scale (they're pretty cheap, I got one and find it's worth having). 

Similar to @Guppysnail's recommendation, do that but do it on glass, and spread it into a line with a razor (like you know what), then divide it at the midpoint. Another way to do this is to cut a small piece of paper, fold it in half, and pour the powder onto it. Hold the paper with the powder along the fold like a shallow V, and the powder will distribute into a pretty even line that way. Put the paper down, and again use a knife or razor to divide the line of powder at the middle. 

• Like 2

On 6/26/2024 at 2:51 PM, TOtrees said:

Another way to do this is to cut a small piece of paper, fold it in half, and pour the powder onto it. Hold the paper with the powder along the fold like a shallow V, and the powder will distribute into a pretty even line that way. Put the paper down, and again use a knife or razor to divide the line of powder at the middle. 

Yep this is the way I did it. I may have slightly over or underdosed but defo didnt do 20 gal worth which is good. Just gotta do this for the next 5 days now and then I'm good. Appreicate it

• Like 1