Linear Air Pump questions

LDZ

Hello all,  I have 10 nano tanks with fish or shrimp in them.  They range from two gallons to 13 gallons.   I have twenty air driven filters and air stones throughout the tanks.   I'm currently using four whisper 100 to run the air.   I am thinking about getting a linear piston air pump, the LA 45C from Aquarium co-op.  Would this be over kill or could I make it work.  Anyone using this pump for nano tanks??  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks for your help.

On 6/23/2024 at 4:08 PM, LDZ said:

Hello all,  I have 10 nano tanks with fish or shrimp in them.  They range from two gallons to 13 gallons.   I have twenty air driven filters and air stones throughout the tanks.   I'm currently using four whisper 100 to run the air.   I am thinking about getting a linear piston air pump, the LA 45C from Aquarium co-op.  Would this be over kill or could I make it work.  Anyone using this pump for nano tanks??  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks for your help.

Standard caveat: I have no personal experience with that kind of air system. But the description includes this quote: "The loose rule that I have developed for my own use of of these style of pumps is 1 air stone per liter of output. This pump roughly handles 47 tanks."

You'd be looking to use a bit less than half of that capacity. I'd expect that using adjustable air valves would allow you to slow the flow however you like. If it's still too much pressure, you could just have a 21st outlet blowing out to nothing, just to let off the pressure.

Hopefully someone with personal experience will chime in.

• Thanks 1

Imo definitely overkill. With that large of a pump there is no doubt you would have to bleed off alot of air. There are many other options, I would look into Alita air pumps. I have used that brand for nearly 30 years without issue. They make a range of sizes that would suit your needs.

• Thanks 2