Bolivian ram breeding set up.

Siett88

I have a pair of bolivians in a 29 gal community, and they have spawned three times. First time was a dud, but the last two produced swimmers, but gradually over 3 or so days they all disappear. I just watched Dean's apisto breeding setup vid, and would that work for rams? Replace the caves with flat rocks, maybe another sight break?

Oh man, I totally forgot they did that one, too!  I guess I have an advantage in the fact that they already have a favorite rock!

39 minutes ago, ange said:

I'd lean more toward his GBR setup video, but I think the experience would be very similar. The main reason I like his GBR setup is it uses terra cotta pieces and I can get those cheap (0.25/piece) locally.

3 minutes ago, pedrofisk said:

Yes they are more closely related to the German Blue Rams. There are videos of watched on Bolivians that use the same setup as the GBRs. I love Bolivians myself and hope to start breeding some as soon as I get my fishroom setup.

My favorite fish! (See profile pic!)

• Like 1

I think Bolivians are highly under rated. They are more hardy than GBRs and while they don't have as much surface area covered in color they are very colorful. Plus they have all the fun Cichlid behavior with few of the down sides.

Edited by pedrofisk
  • Like 2

Fully agree with you on Bolivian rams. I never had them (mostly because I couldn't find them) but definitely would like to have them at some point. To me they are more interesting than Ramirezis because the rest of the world allready is doing Ram's. 

Either way, not much advice here from experience though I would fully expect that what works for GBR's also works for Bolivian Ram's. Do keep us updated with photos and or videos please?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, pedrofisk said:

I think Bolivians are highly under rated. They are more hardy than GBRs and while they don't have as much surface area covered in color they are very colorful. Plus they have all the fun Cichlid behavior with few of the down sides.

I'd put a fully breeding dressed bolivian up against any variety of blue ram!

Disclaimer: I'd still love to keep blues at some point, no hate!

5 minutes ago, Siett88 said:

Will do! On a side tangent, does anyone know if fry take to frozen (thawed) baby brine shrimp like they would live? I'm afraid I wouldn't have time to do live (though I'd love to).

The herky-jerky wiggling action is one of the things that really activates the feeding instinct. If Bolivian fry are close to as small as GBR then I think it'll probably be critical. It is actually really easy to raise up the baby brine and takes maybe 15 minutes twice a day. You don't have to buy all the expense equipment either.

• Like 1