Question on temperature fluctuations

I've been trying to find out what is a reasonable range of temperature and/or time it takes for a temperature to change and still be healthy for a fish. I know 78 is optimal, and under 86 is required. I know temp changes too fast is bad. So, what is too fast?

Specifically, a betta in a 3 gallon with a couple of assassin snails.
Heater is set to 78, temp reading is reliable.
We've been getting hotter weather and his tank is near enough to a window that he's reaching around 84*f at the peak of the day. I'm not sure how long it's taking to get up there or back down.
I can't trust manual monitoring on time/temp as the room is cooler when I'm home. I don't have another location to move him to, the majority of the window already has a shade, I can't leave the AC blasting when I'm gone.
I've added a larger airstone to increase evaporation, but it doesn't seem to do much, maybe a degree difference. I would prefer not to remove the entire cover in order to attach a clip on fan, I don't know that he's a jumper, but I'd rather not leave it an option. There isn't space for an ice bottle in such a small tank.

I haven't seen any change in him, but better to be prepared or circumvent before a potential issue.

Thank you for your time and attention.

• Administrators

I set my tanks to 74, and let the weather dictate the temps. The only tank I run a heater on currently is my clown loach tank at 81 degrees. In the wild you can watch a fish go from 82 to 72 in 2 seconds and back. No problem. I think it's more important to just keep the fish in a range they appreciate being in.

In the case of bettas, they're found natively in rice paddies, stagnant ponds, slow-moving streams, and marshes. A six-degree temperature swing from day to night would not be uncommon in such bodies of water.  Lakes and deeper ponds tend to undergo temperature stratification where the warmest water is at the top and then it gets progressively cooler as the water gets deeper. A fish chasing prey can experience a dramatic shift in temperature in seconds in such an environment. A heavy rain can dramatically alter the water temperature in many bodies of water.

You say the tank is near a window, so I'm assuming it gets some direct sunlight helping to heat the tank. Putting something between the tank and the window (a plant, pile of books, picture frame, etc.) could lessen the impact of being close to the window. Anything between the tank and the window would help to absorb some of that heat and prevent it from reaching the betta.

• Like 1

Sounds like I don't need to worry as long as the temps aren't going over the acceptable range.

I may end up fiddling with a denser divider, maybe something reflective. Even though the tank isn't in *direct* sunlight, I do allow the tank to be lit by ambient light from the window and only turn on the tank light in the later afternoon/evening. The light I have installed doesn't allow for a timer unfortunately, so trying to get the best I can from what I've got. ;p