Nerm problems

Daniel

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Younger aquarist think once you have money, and drivers license and you don't have to share a room with your brother all your problems are solved.

They are not. They just get more complicated.

I kept telling myself dollar a gallon...who cares...I need to take care of the tanks I have, not buy more. I kept telling myself, the spouse is calm about my ever metastasizing hobby, just be cool, be patient, and definitely no more aquariums.

730078304_nomoreaquariums.PNG.87014fddd42482565349fbd422e706cb.PNGHat tip to @MickS77 for the meme

What if the dollar a gallon sale never ever happens again? Maybe, just maybe I could confuse her by being honest!

text.png.685dc616b48a9eca1168f61b02d985fa.png

She didn't approve, but she didn't say no.

So I got two 75 gallons (not one like I mentioned and maybe not 1/3 of normal price). Now I felt embarrassed so I stashed them in the woodworking shop.

IMG_2719.JPG.cb2f4907a8655a51d8c75984493df3a0.JPG

Problem is these days she is out in the shop all the time working on beehives. So...

IMG_2720.JPG.b257695a6ea4f90b21f90ca39576cff8.JPG

Problem solved, right? Now I just I have to figure out how to tell her....

So that’s how you pull it off.  My wife is afraid to look in my wood shop.  

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Younger aquarist think once you have money, and drivers license and you don't have to share a room with your brother all your problems are solved.

They are not. They just get more complicated.

I kept telling myself dollar a gallon...who cares...I need to take care of the tanks I have, not buy more. I kept telling myself, the spouse is calm about my ever metastasizing hobby, just be cool, be patient, and definitely no more aquariums.

730078304_nomoreaquariums.PNG.87014fddd42482565349fbd422e706cb.PNGHat tip to @MickS77 for the meme

What if the dollar a gallon sale never ever happens again? Maybe, just maybe I could confuse her by being honest!

text.png.685dc616b48a9eca1168f61b02d985fa.png

She didn't approve, but she didn't say no.

So I got two 75 gallons (not one like I mentioned and maybe not 1/3 of normal price). Now I felt embarrassed so I stashed them in the woodworking shop.

IMG_2719.JPG.cb2f4907a8655a51d8c75984493df3a0.JPG

Problem is these days she is out in the shop all the time working on beehives. So...

IMG_2720.JPG.b257695a6ea4f90b21f90ca39576cff8.JPG

Problem solved, right? Now I just I have to figure out how to tell her....

the trick is to stay single 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, quirkylemon103 said:

But then you might find yourself short on time or money (or both) as you have to manage all your other daily chores and finances on your own, and all or most of the physical work of taking care of your aquariums and household. It's a trade off - total freedom in some respects but a lot less in others. 

32 minutes ago, quirkylemon103 said:

The real pro-tip is having a partner who is handy and into home improvement. Even if they don't like fish the way I do...they like landscaping and building things with me!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

The other night when I was boiling cholla wood my husband said, “Your hobbies are so gross. But I love you anyway.” That is true love!

I just keep reminding him that at least it’s not shoes or celebrity gossip. There are much worse alternatives than listening to me talking about fish all day.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

I kept telling myself, the spouse is calm about my ever metastasizing hobby  [...] and definitely no more aquariums.

Beware the day when she gets the fish bug too. No more aquariums for YOU! That's what happened to my spouse. 

I've been known to hide a new aquarium or two in the garage, as the wife doesn't go in there very often, then, when she is gone I will "sneak" it in and down to the basement. And then, she rarely goes down there, at least to the side where my tanks are set up. She does know I'm planning on doing a remodel of my fish room and has been supportive of it, I think mainly because I am going to be moving stuff in basement around to make a separate room for my tanks and then better storage for all of our decorations for the different holidays. What she doesn't realize I think, is that I will be adding one 40breeder and switching four 20longs for 8 20 high tanks on end. 

Tell her it was get 2 pay 1 on top of the dollar sale - how can you say no to a free aquarium right?

Yesterday my girlfriend sat next to me and we were both watching the fish for a while and enjoying it together. We are in a bit of a pickle with current house, ongoing issues on settlements with her ex etc but at some point we can and will leave this place, find something bigger and I will get more tanks!

• Like 2

The saving grace for me was before we married the wife and I sat down and discussed "play money" and bills. The rules for us are if you buy it with your play money then no harm no foul. The rules for fish tanks quickly became no more than 3 in the living room (though I had a 5 gallon flex in there for a year or two with a pea puffer at her request). I can run what I want downstairs as long as it stays in the fishroom, or I tear down/clean out the brine shrimp hatchery and python from the downstairs guest bath when we have guests staying with us.

Finding the right partner who allows our craziness is key, but I also think one who puts up some guard rails and keeps us from going overboard is probably a good thing too 😉

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Ken Dyer said:

Finding the right partner who allows our craziness is key, but I also think one who puts up some guard rails and keeps us from going overboard is probably a good thing too 😉

So true! Without her patiently let me be me, but also simultaneously keeping me from going overboard...I shudder to think how it all might have worked out. Sometimes I feel like the luckiest person in the world.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, josh world said:

Also did I hear baby discus 😄

Maybe, fingers crossed. These two had been just dating, but as of last week I think they got married.

First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes baby discus in the big aquariage.

2017442402_24Nov2020Gotmarried.jpg.596a39171fae77d0943aecbd6e59e735.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1