Fish not growing

Bean

Hey! I have a question about my fish not growing. So basically I have a 75 gallon with multiple fish . The 2 plecos have grown a lot but my angelfish and parrot fish haven’t really grown and I’ve had them for 6+ months does anyone have an idea to why this is?

2 minutes ago, Bean said:

I feed them hikari flakes, pellets, frozen and live brine shrimp and bug bites 

those all seem like quality foods, how often do you feed them. To boost their growth I might try frozen blood worms, and feed a lot more of it. You could do feedings twice a day, feeding as much as they can eat in two minutes. and every third day feed frozen blood worms for one feeding. 

3 minutes ago, James Black said:

those all seem like quality foods, how often do you feed them. To boost their growth I might try frozen blood worms, and feed a lot more of it. You could do feedings twice a day, feeding as much as they can eat in two minutes. and every third day feed frozen blood worms for one feeding. 

I feed them once a day but kinda a lot of food and I will buy some frozen blood worms when I get back from vacation.

I will also start feeding them twice a day and see how that works out!

4 hours ago, lefty o said:

cold temps, and not suffiecient food are in my experience the 2 things that slow/stunt fish growth.  imo , feeding twice daily is preferred to once.

Yes I think it’s because of the cold temps. I’ve felt the water the past few months and it seemed cold but my thermometer said 80 but when I used a proper thermometer it was like 70 I think so I got a new heater today and we will see how that works out.

10 hours ago, Bean said:

I’ve felt the water the past few months and it seemed cold but my thermometer said 80 but when I used a proper thermometer it was like 70...

I have been lied to by thermometers too many times. They are on my 'trust but verify' list now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ruud said:

without wanting to hijack this thread, but any advise here? My readings are inconsistent as well. 

First I believe what my hand tells me. You can tell the difference between 75°F and 80°F and 85°F with your hands very reliably.

Second, I bought a NIST traceable thermometer on Amazon for less than $100 US that give accurate reading to within 0.1°F. I then used the NIST traceable thermometer to calibrate my other thermometers which varied from nearly accurate to off by 4 °F.

@Ruud

Not sure how much you are wanting to spend but I use the older version of this.

WWW.OMEGA.COM

Portable handheld thermometer/data loggers with backlight display and built-in analysis functions. Supports most standard thermocouple and RTD types.

Allows me to monitor 4 tanks, or any combination of tanks and room temperature.  Spends most of it's time logging 2 grow out tanks.  You can run it on a PC and monitor temps real time as well as log the data.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KBOzzie59 said:

@Ruud

Not sure how much you are wanting to spend but I use the older version of this.

WWW.OMEGA.COM

Portable handheld thermometer/data loggers with backlight display and built-in analysis functions. Supports most standard thermocouple and RTD types.

Allows me to monitor 4 tanks, or any combination of tanks and room temperature.  Spends most of it's time logging 2 grow out tanks.  You can run it on a PC and monitor temps real time as well as log the data.

Alright thanks I’ll look into that.