Suspected Epistylis Advice

AbbyD

Hi all, 

I recently had an outbreak in my 50 gallon freshwater tank. I have 3 ropefish, 1 dwarf gourami, 1 Siamese algae eater, 3 dwarf Kamaka rainbow fish, and 2 blue acaras. The issues showed up when I added the 3 rainbows and 2 acaras on the same day to my established (3mo) tank. I’d been lucky up to this point, now I’ve learned my lesson for not quarantining new fish. 

As most people, I thought it was ich. I moved everyone to my hospital tank, (prepared to let the 50 gal fallow at 83° since it’s planted) and raised the hospital tank to 81, and began ich X. I did 6 days treatment with daily water change per the bottle and everyone looks WORSE. so now I’m thinking it’s epistylis. In reading up on it, and closer look at my quarantine tank, I’m seeing white fuzzies on the few decor pieces I put in for hiding,  as well as on the glass. Videos attached. The spots on the fish worsened and now we are seeing caudal fin loss on my gourami and SAE, and pectoral fin loss on the rainbows. Rainbows also have a haze and spots on their eyes. 

I’m asking for advice. I’ll continue the ich X just in case, and I started Kanaplex in the food. However, the ropefish will not eat their food with meds on it, or with Entice or Garlic Guard. They like their food unaltered. So they’re in a hospital where I’m adding it to the water, not the food. 

Is there anything else I need to do? It’s day 1 of Kanaplex since I just saw the fuzzies. Is adding epsom salt baths into the mix too much? (Though I dont think the ropefish could handle that since they’re scaleless, so everyone else could)

Is there a fallow period for Epistylis? The water flow and cleaning and water parameters have been fine in my 50 gal. It happened immediately after new fish were added so I admit it’s my fault. 

EDIT: I hate seeing them suffer so I just did a bath in 2 gal aquarium water and 1/2 tsp of aquarium salt for 15 minutes. Idk how much internal help it did but holy crap, just that 15 minutes and every fish has half the specks on it that it did before. I sure hope that’s good news  I took all decor out to sanitize overnight in hot vinegar water too  

ph: 7.4

ammonia: 0

nitrite: 0

nitrate: 20ppm

gh: 9°

kh: 4°

TDS: 290

IMG_1622.jpeg

IMG_1623.jpeg

IMG_1624.jpeg

IMG_1627.jpeg

IMG_1628.jpeg

Edited by AbbyD
Add photo, edit title. Add edit in body for salt bath

Kanaplex isn't very effective in food as very little of the medication is adsorbed by the intestinal tract the most effective treatment I have found for epistylis is maracyn2 in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days and dose the tank daily with ick X after a 30% water he's how you can tell if your dealing with ich or epistylis if there not eating the medicated food then I would dose the tank with kanaplex or maracyn2 keep treating with ick X @AbbyD

1000000051.png

1000000026.png