Brine shrimp egg shelf life

I will need to order more brine shrimp eggs soon. I keep a small amount (a half-dozen tablespoons or so) in my refrigerator and keep the rest of the tin in my freezer.

I'd like to order two tins this time just to make my shipping costs more efficient, but I don't know how long brine shrimp eggs can be stored in the freezer before the hatch starts to be affected; there's no cost savings if my yield goes down.

So how long do you think an unopened can would be okay in the freezer?

On 6/11/2024 at 12:14 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

I will need to order more brine shrimp eggs soon. I keep a small amount (a half-dozen tablespoons or so) in my refrigerator and keep the rest of the tin in my freezer.

I'd like to order two tins this time just to make my shipping costs more efficient, but I don't know how long brine shrimp eggs can be stored in the freezer before the hatch starts to be affected; there's no cost savings if my yield goes down.

So how long do you think an unopened can would be okay in the freezer?

I personally have had a couple of vials of brine shrimp eggs from brine shrimp direct. They have been in refrigerator over 4yrs and still hatch with good yields. @Rube_Goldfish

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2024 at 1:16 PM, Pepere said:

Recent video on Co Op where Dean shows how he hatches bbs daily.

He mentions he buys several cans at a time and keeps all but one in the freezer.

ns

I do something similar; I portion out some to a small jar for the refrigerator and put the rest of the can in the freezer. But I also know @Dean’s Fishroom goes through brine shrimp so much faster than I do!

Actually, thinking about it, I think I'm going through a can about every four months or so, albeit inconsistently. So if I bought two cans, the second would have to last eight months. Sealed up and in the freezer, it looks like that will be no problem at all.

• Like 1

I buy two or three at a time, depending on what else I’m ordering to hit free shipping. 

They all live in the freezer. I hatch once a week, pop the can out, put the tablespoon of eggs in, and put it back in the freezer. 

By the time I get to the last can, or about halfway through that can, I’ll order another two or three. 

I’ve never had hatch rates go down using this method

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1