Possible gill flukes? Description below

David3516

Posted (edited)

I have 10 corydora, 3 honey gourami and 8 celestial pearl danios in a 20gallon. Heavily planted. Nitrate and ammonia at 0 (despite fertilizing-- go buy easy green and iron!), pH is just below 7 and temperature stays around 78. Very over filtered with an eheim 2215.

All of the fish swim neurotically and flash every once in awhile, but it’s NOT constant. The Cories are constantly breathing noticeably fast, even while at rest. I cannot see anything on them, like Ich, and they’ve been like this for about a year (even 5 of the Cories that I just got yesterday are now behaving the same).

Does this sound like gill flukes to anyone? I have prazipro ready to go for them.

Thanks!

gill-flukes-v0-l2ehj8zsgg5d1.webp

Edited by David3516
supporting easy green

I’ve been breeding CPD for over 5 years.  I’ve kept them from 74-79. While the higher temperatures were temporary they took a toll.  Fast labored breathing and some flashing were among these. Extreme hyperactivity was definitely caused.

CPD do best around 75. 78 is to warm long term. 

What type of corydora do you have? Most corydora also do best in cooler water not above 75.  I’ve been breeding many Corydora for several years also.  At one point my pandas were at 77.  More heavy breathing than normal occurred and much more darting to the surface.

My honey gourami have quite well at 76 for a few years. 

Try lowering the temperature to 76. I keep some CPD at 76 as well as corydora. The lower temperature although it’s not much lower may make a bigger impact than you think. 

Also add an airstone if you do not have one.  Canisters are poor aerators. That may help with flashing if oxygen is lower and it’s irritation to the gills from the extra work load. Corydora like very oxygenated water. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2024 at 4:47 AM, Guppysnail said:

I’ve been breeding CPD for over 5 years.  I’ve kept them from 74-79. While the higher temperatures were temporary they took a toll.  Fast labored breathing and some flashing were among these. Extreme hyperactivity was definitely caused.

CPD do best around 75. 78 is to warm long term. 

What type of corydora do you have? Most corydora also do best in cooler water not above 75.  I’ve been breeding many Corydora for several years also.  At one point my pandas were at 77.  More heavy breathing than normal occurred and much more darting to the surface.

My honey gourami have quite well at 76 for a few years. 

Try lowering the temperature to 76. I keep some CPD at 76 as well as corydora. The lower temperature although it’s not much lower may make a bigger impact than you think. 

Also add an airstone if you do not have one.  Canisters are poor aerators. That may help with flashing if oxygen is lower and it’s irritation to the gills from the extra work load. Corydora like very oxygenated water. 

Hey, thank you for the reply! to help you help me, here are more details- I do keep this tank sub-tropical temps. The corys are habrosus and julii. The heater is set to 75, but in the summer it can be anywhere from 75-78. This issue has persisted throughout fall, winter, and spring too, when the tank does stay at 75. I also have my canister filter outflow breaking the water surface a lot. I attached a video below.

I will try an airstone though. I'll need it if I medicate the tank anyway

IMG_4191-ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter.gif

Edited by David3516