Betta sorority with one male?

teenage fish

So, I am not sure if I am actually going to do this, but would it be possible to have a betta sorority in a 20 gallon (7+ females) and have one male betta? Would there be aggression? Would breeding happen? A betta sorority has always been in the back of my mind, and I’m curious of what would happen if one male was added to the mix.

check out dexters world. this is just a fun series, and will I think answer most questions.

Edited add: I just checked this link and Youtube has DELETED the second video of the series that showed that females can be outright killed by males if they are considered a threat. This was a poor decision on their part. The dead female was only discovered in the tank, and DID NOT violate the terms of youtube content policy. I hate the stupid cancel culture we have right now. Sorry, </rant>

Edited by Brandy
  • Thanks 1

Back when I was breeding bettas if I put a female in an aquarium with a male betta they would breed, which is what I wanted. After breeding he would chase her away with malice aforethought.

I suspect that is what would happen in the hypothetical you are suggesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, quirkylemon103 said:

what about in a medium to large tank I'm thinking 75-120 range

that is planted and has lots of hardscape

Depending on the number of fish, I would say. If you had a ton of females (30+ fish) and one male, combined with live plants and hiding places, I can’t see a problem where one male bullied everyone. 

Betta sororitys are always very cool, but also very challenging. You need lots of hiding spots for the females to go and take shelter. Females can be jerks too. Alot of respected betta people on youtube (Lisa from Kg Tropicals, Taylor from simply betta) have said that males should not be in female betta sorority. 

I would say no also, because the all female sorority can be a nightmare, I can't imagine what one would like with a male in there maybe even trying to breed with on of the females.