German Blue Ram

Marley

Hi all! I have a pair of German blue rams in a 20 gal breeder. Last night my female laid her eggs for the first time. Well, of course they ate them 😉

My question however is due to the fact my male is now chasing and poking my female aggressively and maybe nipping sometimes. Is this normal behavior? Do I have an issue that I need to deal with? 
This behavior has been going on for hours since the eggs were eaten. 
Thank you! 

Edited by Marley
Spelling error

They are a contentious little fish sometimes. Feisty. As long as she has some cover, they will likely settle back down soon. I would try to give lots of cover in the form of plants and decor. For all we know he is 'splaining to her that egg eating is not the goal!

If it goes on for more than a few days, and you start to see fin damage and she seems excessively unhappy, you will want to move her to a safe recovery space, either in another tank or install a divider or something.

• Thanks 1

This is pretty common. Sometimes, the stress can be a lot for the female. but males do not go at them as vigorously as (for example) male bettas go after females. Sometimes lowering the light can be calming. We use black cupboard liner over the top to mute / filter light in order to both moderate algae growth and to calm stressed fish. A water change, if appropriate, can also help to "reset" the pair. Also feeding live foods - daphnia, or baby brine shrimp - can go a long way towards calming the pair down. 

• Thanks 1