Red Worms growing in tank

Ok, so when I had my fish in there old tank. I would dice up a red worm as a treat for my fish and frog. Did this for years. But then I noticed my African Dwarf Frog fighting something one day. Figured it was a fish, no big deal, he’s there to control the guppy population. But then I noticed, he wasn’t eating a fish. He was eating a red worm. Not a piece…. But the entire thing. Only thing I could think of was a piece of worm got down into the substrate and grew. But I noticed he was always finding them… entire worms. But he was fat, happy and not doing his job of eating the guppy fry. So when I switched that tank into a larger tank. I found about 5-7 full grown red worms. I sifted the sand in the tank and found about 15 baby worms…… I was always told red worms couldn’t survive in water. But apparently they can. Any one else ever experience this? 

IMG_4095.jpeg

IMG_4098.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/3/2024 at 7:13 AM, Meep556 said:

Ok, so when I had my fish in there old tank. I would dice up a red worm as a treat for my fish and frog. Did this for years. But then I noticed my African Dwarf Frog fighting something one day. Figured it was a fish, no big deal, he’s there to control the guppy population. But then I noticed, he wasn’t eating a fish. He was eating a red worm. Not a piece…. But the entire thing. Only thing I could think of was a piece of worm got down into the substrate and grew. But I noticed he was always finding them… entire worms. But he was fat, happy and not doing his job of eating the guppy fry. So when I switched that tank into a larger tank. I found about 5-7 full grown red worms. I sifted the sand in the tank and found about 15 baby worms…… I was always told red worms couldn’t survive in water. But apparently they can. Any one else ever experience this? 

IMG_4095.jpeg

IMG_4098.jpeg

I feed redworms to my Ropefish... sometimes he doesn't eat both of them, and I've always wondered if they can survive in the substrate. Turns out they can!