Fish Room Build

Mary

I am in the final stages of setting up my fish room, and I have this gap all the way around between the wood trim and the floor. It was suggested that I put backing rod in and seal it with caulk, but this is a 3/4” gap. I’m not a messy fish keeper, but I really do need to fill that space in the event that water does end up on the floor. Any suggestions?1C7DAD2F-6174-4F55-8349-C423F2585507.jpeg.daf432cfff7578ae8c0fed1bc0e94a48.jpeg

If that is your baseboard, I would be fine with it not touching the floor for that reason. If you spill water, it won't get on the wood and ruin it. You could do the backer rod and caulk to keep water from getting underneath and getting to the drywall and framing, but if it's in a basement or the floor is concrete, it should have a treated baseplate at least. 

Spray foam and vinyl baseboard is how I handled this in our last house. Though the backer rod and caulk sounds like a great solution as well.

And no matter how careful, I always assume it is only a matter of time until I kick over a 5 gallon bucket of water in the fish room so preparing for the worst is always worth the peace of mind in my eyes.

It is a concrete slab house, so this is on the main floor coated with epoxy. I’m definitely going for a finished look, and leaving the gap or just foam would be more than my OCD can tolerate. All of the quarter round and shoe I’ve looked at is 3/4” or less...not tall enough to cover the gap.