When to use pad under aquarium

Fauxrenier

Just picked up an Aqueon 10 gallon rimless. My first was a Petco brand 7 gallon rimless with a foam pad already in place and no frame.

I was wondering if I would need a pad for the 10 gallon? It has a frame only around the bottom and the glass bottom is held on that. Only the bottom frame would be touching the stand. I thought I read if there’s a frame you don’t need foam. Just want to make sure before I start setting this one up. I assume I should just pick up a pad just to be safe.

• 1 year later...

I am putting up a 40 breeder and also trying to figure out if I need a pad.

I have read yes and no. Also arguments about what kind of material to use and how to use it. The pad is to self level the frame to prevent failure and leaks. I also read on one site just to pad the frame and not the glass. The frame could sink into the foam and put pressure on the bottom glass. ???? Should I use insulation board as most websites say? In Europe they sell pads for aquariums.

On 3/22/2022 at 12:16 PM, LeeLee said:

a 40 breeder

Hi, I put 3 pieces of 3/16 in. foam board on top of a Petco medal stand and you can see the foam taking the shape of the stand and the tank is perfectly level. I don`t think foam would be needed on a wood stand.