I have been trying to film an Oryzias Latipes egg hatching for about a week or so now. I removed the eggs from some moss in my tank with a pipette and placed them in a deli cup with tap water and whatever water was in the pipette. The first few days I only saw a few things darting around in the drop of water on the slide with the egg.

After a week I noticed all sorts of things alive and moving, some even attached themselves to the egg. I'm no expert on what any of these things are, but I imagine that the small things are paramecium. I can recognize that there are vorticella and a nematode, but I have no idea what the grabby big mouth worm thing is. Any insights? 

I have been unsuccessful so far in filming the moment of hatching. I found myself watching all the little things that I never knew were there more intently and with more curiosity than watching the egg itself. Just thought I would share.

Edited by Aubrey
Wash your hands
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have been keeping several deli containers with tank water and azolla in an effort to grow out the azolla. I'm having very little luck with that plant. Anyway one of them has taken off with a slimy green algae, ostracods, copepods, and nematodes.

Below is a top down photograph and a video from the side to show some of the wiggly things.

20210108_124127.jpg.562024dd9eadbd55d756dd12a2002762.jpg

In the next images you will see the drop of water from the deli cup that we will be looking into along with a pin for scale.

20210108_123743-1.jpg.ce132a36379710f1b5619a36eb9ef2a4.jpg20210108_125354-1.jpg.c9f678ac672ea23e9260c1a29fec31d1.jpg20210108_125301.jpg.a94f8c7ad880e64ce9c4c1fddc700460.jpg

And now about a minutes with of time in that drop of water. I only see ostracods or seed shrimp and tiny bits of algae.

I'm hoping to get an actual microscope soon, but I still find this one to produce usable/shareable footage. It's pretty neat to see what could be living in a drop of water.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That is so cool! I love seeing what is in the water. We often don't think about all the diverse life in our aquariums because that life is so small. Small size though does not equal small importance as the food and energy webs our of tanks are much complex than just snails, plants and fish.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Small size though does not equal small importance as the food and energy webs our of tanks

I have two other deli cups right next to that one, but they do not have algae growing in them like that. I only see some Cyclops in those two. I have inadvertently started my own micro food cultures, though I do not want that green slime algae in my tanks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aubrey said:

I have inadvertently started my own micro food cultures, though I do not want that green slime algae in my tanks.

It wouldn't bother me. In my experience the green slime algae won't grow well if at all in a mature aquarium just because a little got introduced. Most of that stuff is in aquarium water at all times and we only see when the conditions are right for it to 'bloom'. But it is not like it wasn't already there anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any idea what the long strands are, @Aubrey? And those seed shrimp are just like little energizer bunnies...but they are directionally impaired! LoL. Even when I can see them, they just go round and round in circles, it seems. They crack me up! 

Thanks for the cool vids!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Hobbit I don't see why there can't be two threads, but it would help keep things tidy and allow for a more focussed discussion of findings and microscope hobby questions with just one thread. I mean I'm not trying to claim the topic or anything, I was just sharing images I found to be neat. I have no background in science, in fact I was horrible at it high school, so really all I can do is say "look at what I saw." I have been using a "toy" microscope, but I just purchased a real one and am a total amateur. I saw in your thread that you were going to upgrade yours too. I feel like your thread is set up better with the intentions of collaborating and sharing, so I'll join in on the discussions there.

20 hours ago, Hobbit said:

Oh man!! I tried to find a microscope thread before I made my own but I missed this. I even used the tag search. Oh well. Very cool snail eggs @Aubrey!

One thread or two, either sounds okay. What caught my attention was the tag search not working as tag searching on this forum is one my pet projects. Did you search on the image.png.48b7fbca08898c19bea7edb8a2e25d9e.pngtag . Anything that doesn't work well when using the tags is something I would be interested in.

I am disturbed by my findings of mites in my aquarium. I find it hard to do much research not only because there seem to be thousands of species of mites, but because looking at all the pictures makes my skin crawl. So I was wondering if anyone on here had any insight as what these might be and if they are two different species or if the smaller one is a juvenile form of the larger brown one.

20210124_031122_HDR.jpg.cf4e662960e7d8896f6a7a3aa47bcbb7.jpg20210124_165025_HDR.jpg.d72aed79603712ae01d88ce56e88b7f1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I've never been so fascinated while also being so grossed out! It's so cool what's in a tank, but also I kind of don't want to know! Please don't share a video of the mite walking around lol.

Also, the sound in the video makes it that much more ominous 😄

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Socqua said:

Please don't share a video of the mite walking around lol.

I'm currently working on putting together some footage that includes a mite moving around and some other gross stuff like worms.

The ominous background noise is just traffic or air pumps, but I guess it does oddly match the atmosphere of the videos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a bowl of shrimp and snails and I’m realizing that a lot of interesting stuff thrives when there aren’t any fish to eat it!

This little guy stopped me in my tracks today. I was starting a work meeting and I basically missed the first ten minutes trying to catch the thing. I’ve never seen anything like it!!!

37D6CBF9-601C-4A50-88C8-B716203FCC13.jpeg.7cb228ed8d843fe9ece442b3a4b46ba7.jpeg

F3413ED7-D976-47D3-8B6F-FE50D6C8C7B8.jpeg.8e58232a4135b2ed57a93d20f4765d7e.jpeg

If anyone knows what this is, please tell me!

• Like 2

@HobbitIt looks like some kind of ostracod or seed shrimp. I'm no expert or anything, but the two valve shell part is what makes me say that. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Very interesting find. I have been looking at some oblong shaped ones in past few days. I found them hanging around a neocaradina molt.

20210126_193511_HDR.jpg.c10541a86fe986108b1470a652cea34e.jpg20210126_191033_HDR.jpg.698b1cced27c1573927a71cb5d7c9bd7.jpg20210126_192520_HDR.jpg.36d19c153a5ed0e373464434935a2e2e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1