Question about set up of new Tidal 75

I replaced my Tetra 60 gallon hob with a Tidal 75 today for my 55 gallon community tank. I also have two Aquarium Coop sponge filters running, along with a large Aquarium Coop pre-filter sponge that was on my old filter. The first thing I did was cover the skimmer with a light piece of plastic, covered the whole skimmer area, using a zip tie to keep it in place. I have molly and platy fry and heard they can get sucked into the skimmer. Didn’t want to take that chance. Is that going to affect the overall performance of the Tidal filter if I totally blocked off the skimmer?

I had two squares of Aquarium Coop sponge I had in the Tetra filter. Unfortunately, they were cut a little too large for the basket in the Tidal 75, so I had to cut them to fit, trying to preserve as much beneficial bacteria as possible. I didn’t want to restart the cycle in the tank again.

I put the blue sponge that came with the Tidal 75 on the bottom, the pieces of cut sponge from the old filter on top of the blue sponge, then filter floss on the sponges, and put the bag of bio balls that came with the Tidal on top of everything. Is this the correct setup? I want to make sure I did everything correctly.

I have a Tidal 55 that I use on my 55 gallon tank along with a medium ACO sponge filter.  I think your setup sounds right.  

Two things I'd say:

• The blue sponge that came with it and the ACO sponge you're moving over from the Tetra are going to serve essentially the same purpose.  To me they appear to be about the same PPI, the blue pad maybe being a little bit finer. No harm in leaving it in, but if you're short on space you can take it out.
  • I'm a big fan of putting a pre-filter sponge on HOB intakes.  It's not essential, but it gives more filter area for the beneficial bacteria to grow and I've found also helps with the longevity of the unit itself as it filters out at least some of the gunk before goes through the intake.

Enjoy your new filter!!

• Like 1

Yoshi, I believe you are correct about the blue sponge being a bit finer. I also concur with you about the value of the pre-filter sponge on the HOBs. It tends to save your filter's pump from some wear-and-tear as well as it being more for that sweet, sweet bacteria that we all love. 

• Like 1