Sponges, Filter mats, and other miscellaneous

Hey all, anyone have any fun/ interesting ways outside of storing that they downsize on some of the miscellaneous things they collect regarding the hobby but don’t want to get rid of? I was cleaning up and saw tubs and tubs of filter foams and old sponge filters and caves and hides and clay pots and tunnels etc and thought I would ask the forum if anyone has things they do with stuff they don’t necessarily want to get rid of but don’t want taking up room either…

Honestly, we just pile up the stuff in a closet! Hehehe.

If it is compressible, like sponges or foams, I suppose one can vacuum seal them, or place them in large zip bags then suck air out with a straw. I would also use those cheap plastic shoe organizers that hang behind a door.

• Like 2

I have 2 tubs of 'extra' stuff.
The two tubs are stacked on top of each other, which makes them a perfect height for placing the brine shrimp hatcheries on top.
That way they take up minimal floor space and are useful.

My cleaning buckets and hoses fit nicely underneath the stand for my 45 gallon tank.

• Like 1

Cut up the sponges and glue them with silicone to the bottom of an aquarium, top it with substrate and cover it with your substrate. This provides surface area for beneficial bacteria. I did this and while idk if it helped grow beneficial bacteria, nothing bad happened haha! Plus I used this to add "hills" and "slopes" without having to buy 2x the amount of dirt LOL

• Like 1

I also have an ever growing pile of 'aquarium stuff in boxes and tubs.  The closest I've come to 'not storing', is returning some of the aquarium rocks to the out of doors in the pond, or using them as counterweights for top heavy houseplants.  Excess out of favor gravel becomes a top dressing for potted plants.  It slows evaporation, wind blown erosion, and occasionally deters the squirrels from digging.

• Like 1