TomO

It wouldn’t be a big issue but it will give less space for roots. I personally like to use mesh bags of crushed or small lava rock. Gives more space for beneficial bacteria, roots can penetrate, and gives cheap height. You can get it very cheaply at landscaping or home improvement stores in the garden section.

• Like 3

Never thought of that, thanks for the tip. Now I’m really glad I asked. My first tank I just dabbled with plants. My 2nd tank is dirted, my third tank is a 5 gallon shrimp tank, but this 75, I want as close to beautiful as I can get.

You can see an example of what I have done in this picture. I didn’t bother with a mesh bag here since it is a small tank (ADA 60f, also a 9 gallon shallow tank) and there is hardscape holding everything in place. I also usually drop some root tabs on top of the lava rock before I put down aquasoil for long term nutrition.

F36BCDA2-8B0F-43E4-B1E5-30A15F501726.jpeg

• Like 1

No, not really. The first month or so will have some algae as you get the aquarium lighting/fertilizer dialed in, get through the new tank diatom stage, and the plants get established. This particular aquarium has been running for about four months and, other than weekly 30% water changes and monthly plant trimming, I don’t have to to any real maintenance other than occasionally wiping off small bits of algae on the glass. That being said, I probably wouldn’t run this rich of a soil (ADA Amazonia is above the lava rock, with UNS fine controsoil on top) if I weren’t injecting CO2. 

The best tip that I have, however, is my algae crew— clithon corona or clithon diadema snails (usually sold as horned nerites). They are very popular with aquascapers in Europe but less so here. I have no idea why. They eat algae like crazy and don’t leave the unsightly eggs that true nerites do. They also stay very small so they don’t look out of place in smaller aquariums. I usually also add one or two Amani shrimp to deal with hair algae early on.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2020 at 2:28 PM, IanB said:

It wouldn’t be a big issue but it will give less space for roots. I personally like to use mesh bags of crushed or small lava rock. Gives more space for beneficial bacteria, roots can penetrate, and gives cheap height. You can get it very cheaply at landscaping or home improvement stores in the garden section.

It’s a dull day when you don’t learn something. 👍🏼👍🏼