Planaria?

demicent

So I've had my tanks for three weeks now, put some plants in there, and purchased some Olive and Horned Nerite snails.  Just now I noticed what look like Planaria?  This seems to be my theme for 2020, for the first time ever I have had small thin black land planaria, and the 8 inch long type in my yard.

These are tiny.  And threadlike.  The head end is wider than the tail end but I can't tell if it's triangular or rounded.  And they are climbing on my snails.  I know the land type kill snails, are my new snails doomed?  

Should I buy Panacur C, and dose the tanks?  After a few good water changes, will I be able to put my nerites back in?  I have this feeling there will be a few planaria hitch hiking on the snails as I move them to a new container.

Any advice will be appreciated.

planaria.jpg

I have never had any issues with planaria  hurting my snails or shrimp, as with all internet advice your mileage may vary. I do find that a lot of dwarf cichlids or anabantoids  find them to be a tasty snack and will keep the numbers down if you are a habitual over feeder like me 🙂

Yours look different than mine, but that could easily just be the picture.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  I have seen more planaria than I can handle this year.  I won't have fish until spring, so Anabantoids include betta, gouramis...?     I will try and be patient rather than adopting the Nuke-em approach, which rarely works out well for anyone.  But it was quite a shock, literally one minute nothing, next they are swarming on the hardscaping and glass.