Breeding White Clouds: Will they eat their fry?

Augustjd27

I was wondering what would be recommended for maximizing white cloud fry production. If I feed the parents well and provide lots of cover, will they not predate on the eggs and young, or do you think I'd have more success producing high numbers of fry by somehow separating them from the parents...and if so, what strategy do you use for separation? Thank you

4 hours ago, Augustjd27 said:

I was wondering what would be recommended for maximizing white cloud fry production. If I feed the parents well and provide lots of cover, will they not predate on the eggs and young, or do you think I'd have more success producing high numbers of fry by somehow separating them from the parents...and if so, what strategy do you use for separation? Thank you

The hardest part is making sure the fry gets enough food when they hatch out.

I normally use a 10gallon, with 2 pair, with a slow flowing filter for 1-2 week. My adult dont get any live food, so they aren't aggressive for live food (fry)lol.

They spawn everyday so you'll get fry hatching everyday.

They normally don't eat their eggs or bother their fry..just keep them full

Edited by WhitecloudDynasty
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, WhitecloudDynasty said:

The hardest part is making sure the fry gets enough food when they hatch out.

I normally use a 10gallon, with 2 pair, with a slow flowing filter for 1-2 week. My adult dont get any live food, so they aren't aggressive for live food (fry)lol.

They spawn everyday so you'll get fry hatching everyday.

They normally don't eat their eggs or bother their fry..just keep them full

Thank you! What are your favorite foods to feed the parents? Are Xtreme krill Flakes and Bug Bites good? That's what I'm using now.

White Cloud parents don't eat their fry.

HOWEVER...

The fry themselves are very cannibalistic.

What tends to happen is that you'll lose about half of your first batch of fry, and then lose pretty much all of the next batches.

If you want to produce a lot of fish, then the thing to do is remove each batch and put them in their own tank.

They are slow growing, so this takes awhile, but once they've reached the half-inch mark you can safely recombine them.

If you just let them do their own thing with no interference from you, then you'll usually have a few young fish in the tank at any given time, since some will survive. 

As for food, I feed my fry a very finely powdered food called "fry crack." I'm not sure if I could explain where to get it. Googling the name might help.

That's okay, though, because you can just grind up some good old Tetra-Min into flour and it works just fine. Baby White Clouds are teeeeny-tiny and need very small food, but it doesn't have to be green water or any other live food.

I raise Vietnam Cardinal White Clouds, Tanichthys micagammae. If I had the tank space I could produce a few hundred per week, as they're very easy to spawn. Raising them is the hard part. They turn on and eat each other like crazy, much worse than regular White Clouds.

Edited by Trey
More info added
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...