I never see my male peacock gudgeon?

Hello! Got a pair of peacock gudgeons about 6 weeks ago. At first they were both really active all around the tank, but after about 2 weeks the male went into the coconut hut cave and now basically never comes out...I see him briefly maybe once a week. Pretty sure looking at egg development times he's not always brooding (or at least, not always brooding the same batch: based on abdominal yellowness levels my female has probably laid eggs at least twice). When I do see him he looks healthy/not too thin and really nicely colored up, which is a relief because I do not see him come out at feeding time, so, at least he's eating something. 

I'd love to see him more, if possible. Is this level of reclusiveness just how male peacock gudgeons are? Would adding more gudgeons to the tank rather than a single pair encourage him to come out more? I have the space and filter capacity....started with a pair bc I only have 1 more structured cave. 

Tank is 15 gal, total inhabitants are: 1 male gudgeon, 1 female gudgeon, 2 otocinclus (sex unknown) and 1 mystery snail. 

Males guarding eggs will always be fairly reclusive because they are good parents and stay busy fanning away at their eggs. I would suggest removing the coconut cave and using a pvc pipe. This is how I have bred my gudgeons and you will be able to see them. I use a 3/4" pvc pipe around 4" long and position it where I can look into it to see the male and check on the eggs.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 5/4/2024 at 7:09 AM, T. Payne said:

Males guarding eggs will always be fairly reclusive because they are good parents and stay busy fanning away at their eggs. I would suggest removing the coconut cave and using a pvc pipe. This is how I have bred my gudgeons and you will be able to see them. I use a 3/4" pvc pipe around 4" long and position it where I can look into it to see the male and check on the eggs.

@T. Payne with the pipes -- do you cap off one end or leave it open? I'm looking at ceramic tubes like the pleco breeding cave and most are sealed at one end (makes sense if you're trying to remove eggs/fry, which I'm not planning on doing). The coconut hut is really dark and I worry I won't be able to see into a capped/sealed tube much better than the current set-up but maybe that's more a cave shape issue.