Jump to content

Ideas on how to stock it and how to make it look better


Nikhil
 Share

Recommended Posts

It's a 15gal tank with 5 red phantom tetras, 4 fancy guppies, 4 snails and planning to add some shrimp soon. I also have a small piece of driftwood, a rock and about 5 plants. 
I'm wondering what I can do to get rid of the algae and to revive the baby tears on the side. I would also take suggestions for other plants to add. I am planning to add several different colors of the shrimp from the Aquarium Co-op store in person soon.

fishtank2.jpg

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/30/2024 at 12:09 PM, Nikhil said:
It's a 15gal tank with 5 red phantom tetras, 4 fancy guppies, 4 snails and planning to add some shrimp soon. I also have a small piece of driftwood, a rock and about 5 plants. 

I'd add another five red phantom tetras and call it quits on fish, and that's assuming the guppies are all male.  If one or more is a female you will likely be overrun with fish sooner than you think.

On 4/30/2024 at 12:09 PM, Nikhil said:
I'm wondering what I can do to get rid of the algae and to revive the baby tears on the side.

 

The best way to combat algae is to reduce light (no more than six hours per day, at least until you have it under control), add more live plants, and keep them healthy with the proper amount of fertilizer.  Regular water changes seem to help also.

I have never kept baby tears, but I believe it struggles without high light and CO2.  I could be wrong about that.

On 4/30/2024 at 12:09 PM, Nikhil said:
I would also take suggestions for other plants to add.

 

I'm a big fan of crypts, especially for people relatively new to planted aquariums.  While there may be an initial adjustment period (which is true for many plants), they are hardy, undemanding, and come in a wide variety of colors and sizes.  There is even some variation in leaf shape between species.

On 4/30/2024 at 12:09 PM, Nikhil said:
I am planning to add several different colors of the shrimp from the Aquarium Co-op store in person soon.

 

You may already know this, but all neocaridina shrimp will throw off color and/or clear and brown shrimp in succeeding generations, and this gets more prevalent if the off color shrimp aren't removed from the gene pool.  This process is accelerated when you mix colors at the start.  You may get some interesting colors and patterns in the first generation or two, it won't take long until almost all of them are clear or brown.  With that being said, there's nothing wrong with mixing colors, but I wanted to point that out in case it matters to you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...