What are YOUR experiences on selling fish to your LFS?

wendypizza

3 hours ago, Marc said:

After reading this thread, it all seems like a lot of work for little gain, I guess its a good way to get rid of extra fish.

@ChefConfitmade some good points.  It's not something you're going to make significant money at without a big investment and a lot of hours, at which point it's your job.  My plants need thinning occasionally anyway, and while I'd prefer cash to store credit I also prefer store credit to just throwing the excess in the trash.

• Like 3

I had 20 cherry barbs spawn and called up my local fish store.  They told me what size they needed to be before they'd take them and that they'd give me store credit.  I took them in and the guy was so happy with them he was going to put them in his own tank.  I talked to them about me bringing in cherry shrimp and they said they'd be happy to and would also give store credit.  I know most people want cash but my LFS, like many others, also sell high end filters, aquariums, gravel, plants, and all the supplies you could want.  So I view store credit as a way I could continue to upgrade my setup for free, or get new tanks for free, or even sell the filters online if I need to since I don't feel comfortable shipping my fish or shrimp.  Good luck!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ZoeyFish said:

I had 20 cherry barbs spawn and called up my local fish store.  They told me what size they needed to be before they'd take them and that they'd give me store credit.  I took them in and the guy was so happy with them he was going to put them in his own tank.  I talked to them about me bringing in cherry shrimp and they said they'd be happy to and would also give store credit.  I know most people want cash but my LFS, like many others, also sell high end filters, aquariums, gravel, plants, and all the supplies you could want.  So I view store credit as a way I could continue to upgrade my setup for free, or get new tanks for free, or even sell the filters online if I need to since I don't feel comfortable shipping my fish or shrimp.  Good luck!

Awesome! I would like to try spawning cherry barbs one day.

I have had tough luck finding stores that will buy from local hobbyists. When I lived in Florida, they basically raised everything in outdoor tubs and dint need any additional stock. In Illinois, I just couldn't find one that would buy from a local breeder. Finally found ONE out of the three near me here in California (I move a lot lol) and I am perfectly happy getting store credit, although they will offer a lesser amount of cash as well. The way I see it, they are doing me a favor. I can't keep breeding fish if I have no space, no where to send all these extra fish and snails. I need lots food for said fish (and especially the snails, they are beasts,) so store credit is fine. I always leave my business card but have yet to be contacted by them. I try to stop by every two weeks with SOEMTHING so that they can see I am reliable. Bit of a drive but not too bad. Downside is that you really only want to talk to the owner- very nice guy and knows when something is of good quality. For all other managers, its more like snail = $1 store credit, period. Im still thankful though.

• Like 4

I recently started working at my local fish store, and the normal CoOp go to’s to breed for profit my LFS already breeds in house. We have a fish vet and 2 other full time breeders and a whole breeding room to rival many a hobbyists own fish rooms. They breed angels, bristlenose plecos, guppies, mollies, platies, bettas, celestial pearl danios, and apistos (well kinda) and more. This makes breeding something for credit pretty hard. Altho, I’m thinking of doing apistos since it’s something they’re trying to breed but aren’t able to keep in steady enough supply. They did just bring in a few breeding groups of a few different apistos that are currently in the quarantine room. I’m thinking of getting my hands on one of the strains that the LFS doesn’t have and breeding that. Getting credit is gonna be a challenge tho. The key is to have something that’s hard to get in and they don’t normally have. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Just thought I’d come back to this thread and share a happy antidote. I called my lfs yesterday to ask if they wanted more of my honey gouramis. (About seven weeks ago I brought them three). A staff member answered the phone and then told me to wait while he asked the owner. I heard him ask, and then the owner answered without hesitation, “Yes, yes, yes.” He’s a pretty chill guy so hearing three empathetic yesses made me feel pretty good! 😊

Last time I traded them for two young bristlenose plecos and bought some water conditioner while I was there. This time I’m hoping to get plants. I know he’ll give me cash, but he’s really struggling right now so I’d rather trade him if I can.

• Like 4

Morning, just found this thread and thought I would add my two cents.  For me it has always and will always be about the relationship with the people at my LFS. After being in this town for 9 years it has become a really good one. We now great each other by name and they ask about our fish and our cats. I have never sold for profit but have definitely dropped of bags of Guppies and Molly's when I have been overrun with them. In return their customer service is amazing. The owner Roger has fixed things for me at no charge. Given me random discounts and loads of support as I have gotten more into the hobbie. I am currently working on getting a 90g up and running and I can't wait to talk about my ideas for plants and stocking with them. It is a win win in my books.

Edited by ErinV
  • Like 2

I haven't sold any yet, but I know my favorite lfs is open to it. They get stock from a lot of local breeders. They did trade me 3 otos for 3 flying foxes that another lfs sold to me as otos. I just got my first mollies and am hoping to try selective breeding with them, so eventually I'll need an outlet lol. So far the only things I've grown to excess are ramshorns and duckweed, and I don't think there's a big market for those! (Tip - chickens love duckweed.)

Also lol at the "small town" definitions. We are in a tiny township with no post office or traffic lights. It's 45 minutes to the best lfs but I like being out here.