What's up with my Dojo's skin rotting

GetVicki

https://s.amsu.ng/EQLm3kLVauzN

Poor thing started with it looking like he had scratched himself maybe on wood while swimming,  but the fishes and the wood have all been in there for over 2 years.  We had another Dojo same type, bought together over 2 years ago, that got this and we treated with Erythromycin but he died. Now a few months later this guy has it.  Please help.  We have been treating this time with Maracyn we got from AC. Water test shows GH is 120, KH is 40, pH is  6.5, No2 is  .5, No3 is 160. Please help,  I can't stand how bad this must hurt him, btw, he's still eating and swimming but not with his normal high activity. 

@CoryI have to disagree about the Mardel Maracyn. Looks like it is just made out of erythromycin. It could still be a bacterial infection though (it could be something that is immune to erythromycin). I would use salt but with more caution than with other fish, because they don't have scales. I would look into how much salt they can handle. Cory would probably know. Hope he makes it, I love dojo loaches. I have two in a pond. 

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

First thing I would do is fix the ph and nitrates. Get the pH up to 7.0-7.2 and nitrate to 50ppm or lower. Then I would have 1 dose of maracyn in the tank for a week. What is the water temperature? Anything about 76 is likely to be causing some stress. I'd try to keep it around 72-74 for the dojo loaches. 

What else is in there besides the dojos and the synodontis catfish? it looks like it's dorsal fin has been nipped, if there is aggression there, that is another further stress factor. Think of you having a bad injury and trying to heal, but being in a dirty environment, it being too hot, and the wrong pH. All those factors tax the body and don't allow it the resources to fight the bacterial infections.

2 hours ago, Cory said:

First thing I would do is fix the ph and nitrates. Get the pH up to 7.0-7.2 and nitrate to 50ppm or lower. Then I would have 1 dose of maracyn in the tank for a week. What is the water temperature? Anything about 76 is likely to be causing some stress. I'd try to keep it around 72-74 for the dojo loaches. 

What else is in there besides the dojos and the synodontis catfish? it looks like it's dorsal fin has been nipped, if there is aggression there, that is another further stress factor. Think of you having a bad injury and trying to heal, but being in a dirty environment, it being too hot, and the wrong pH. All those factors tax the body and don't allow it the resources to fight the bacterial infections.