Got a new 55g last night! Currently having my trusty HOB filter clean out all the crud. After that, just gonna use a sponge filter.

I will be moving my stock in the 20g long below into the 55g when it's ready. I'm gonna test the TopFin stock lights to see if it will grow Water Wisteria and some other easier plants though I don't have high hopes.

Stocking will be
6 Neon Swordtails
1 Gold Gourami
8 Tiger Barbs
Possibly 1 Golden Wonder Killifish
And likely more down the road!

The substrate and plants will also be moved as well though most plants will likely spread to other tanks, not the new 55g. The main focus for this 55g is for my Crinum Calamistratum and I highly doubt these lights will do well for it. I plan on getting Finnex Stingray when I can and because of that, the Crinum will stay in a tank with proper lighting until then, not risking my favorite!

I'll be putting Black Sand in the 20g long and going for a neocardinia shrimp colony, specifically blue coloration.

I have now beaten my record for a maximum of 5 tanks 10 years ago, 6 tanks now!

20201121_153719.jpg

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Alec2cool said:

The main focus for this 55g is for my Crinum Calamistratum and I highly doubt these lights will do well for it

Mine was doing fine with the cheapest weakest chinese made kit light that came with the aquarium, I guess because the leaves were so close to the water surface.

8 hours ago, Alec2cool said:

6 tanks now!

... And then the realization comes "wait a minute, I could have fit a BIGGER tank in the same space!" :)  Good luck with the new setup. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fonske said:

... And then the realization comes "wait a minute, I could have fit a BIGGER tank in the same space!" 🙂 Good luck with the new setup. 

Oh that's exactly what happened with this new 55g. I realized if I moved the stand over to the other wall,I could easily add 6 more feet to the stand

Matter of fact, I originally built this stand to hold a 20g on top and a 10g on bottom. It has evolved to what it is now

I am fighting the symptoms simply because there is no more space for more than 1 tank in our little apartment! (though I could do some tubs on the terrace... hmm). 

Anyway just wanted to chip in and say congrats and keep us posted. Also I have a very soft spot for Swords and live bearers so could I ask for a picture of your Neon Swords? I was tempted to buy a pair yesterday but my gf liked the wagtails ones better (and thinking on future negotations on more tanks I gave in) but thinking at some point maybe add some Neons as well.

One day I will have my man cave and space for more tanks!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Ruud said:

I am fighting the symptoms simply because there is no more space for more than 1 tank in our little apartment! (though I could do some tubs on the terrace... hmm). 

Anyway just wanted to chip in and say congrats and keep us posted. Also I have a very soft spot for Swords and live bearers so could I ask for a picture of your Neon Swords? I was tempted to buy a pair yesterday but my gf liked the wagtails ones better (and thinking on future negotations on more tanks I gave in) but thinking at some point maybe add some Neons as well.

One day I will have my man cave and space for more tanks!

I have gotten quite a bit done last night and I'll provide pics of the changes when the lights come on in a few hours

I have a terrible camera on my phone so I apologize, I'll try to get a decent, recent pic with my webcam later today. This pic is from yesterday shortly before I moved them so I could move the substrate of the 20g over to the new 55g

I only have female Neon Swordtails. (My male jumped out back in May) 4 adults and 2 juveniles, they are fiesty girls and I've found them to be just as aggressive as the males if not more honestly. They'll fight eachother often but I don't think they really understand what they are fighting for. Usually fish fight for a certain territory or food but these girls seem to have spats for no real reason. This behavior started shortly after being housed with Dwarf Gouramis and they've fought with the Dwarf Gouramis and other fish as well. Sometimes I wonder if this is a behavior they've picked up from the Dwarf Gouramis because how they fight is very similar, lining up with fins flared and circling eachother. The only difference is that they don't descend to the bottom while circling eachother and they very rarely bite. Though this could just be their natural behavior and not learned behavior but I have not found any articles referencing this for females.

I am calling them aggressive and that might be an alarm bell for you but their behavior is quite harmless. It's just fin flaring and disrespecting personal space with a very rare bite here and there. They are very interesting to watch, get larger than you think and are the only fish I've found to eat staghorn algae! I'll provide more pics later today.

20201116_165124.jpg

• Like 3

Seems my webcam is worse, I am absolutely terrible at taking pics. It's something that infuriates me actually

The 20g inhabitants are in the 29g until the new 55g is ready. The Dwarf Mexican Crayfish has not been happy with having to share her giant tank, she's been chasing animals quadtriple her size away from her caves (Yes, she claimed all 5 of them). The swordtails often stick their heads in there only to be chased away by an angry, tiny ball of fiery rage.

I've swapped places for the 20g long and one of my 10 gallons. The 20g long now has black sand in it which has to be the most gorgeous substrate I've ever seen. You'll probably note I have way too much gravel in the new 55g and trust me, I agree. I'm removing about half of it. I always overestimate how much I need, it's a curse.

Last night, I moved my 2 adult platys and their 13 juveniles up to the 55g on the right. The fish in the 55g have been used to me feeding them newly born platy fry every few months and immediately assumed these smaller platys were small enough to eat. About 60 seconds later, all of them realized they are too large and stopped chasing them around. HOWEVER, the Red Tail Shark continued harassing them, specifically the orange-red colored ones. I eventually had to take him out and he's in the 10g on the right for now (3 inch juvenile, he's fine), I'm not quite sure how I'm going to go forward with him but I'll figure something out.

Now that my smaller tanks are finally clear of inhabitants that I didn't plan on putting in there (Exception of the red tail shark), I can actually start filling my fish room with FISH. Every tank is incredibly understocked, at least by my own standards.

2020-11-22_16-11-45.jpg

2020-11-22_16-15-50.jpg

• Like 2

@Alec2cool, The fish room is looking really nice.  Some folks purposely run heavy gravel or sand for many reasons, actually.  I.E. aqua-scaping, developing anaerobic bacteria, etc.  I have Red Wag Platys in my 55 and they can be 'nippy' fish, but are interesting.  

I agree with you on the black sand.  Also, it takes a bit of time to find out what ultimately works with an aquarium, both fish & plants alike.  Looks like you are well on your way.  Great job.  😊 

Will stay tuned for future updates.  🐟

• Like 1
On 11/22/2020 at 12:18 PM, Alec2cool said:

I only have female Neon Swordtails. (My male jumped out back in May) 4 adults and 2 juveniles, they are fiesty girls and I've found them to be just as aggressive as the males if not more honestly. They'll fight eachother often but I don't think they really understand what they are fighting for.

It's been said before that the dominant female swordtail can become a male in the absence of a male in the tank. I've also seen it argued, that it was likely that the male was not a strong male prior to developing more obvious traits. I've had one tank that started with 4 juvenile females, that ended up having one develop male traits after almost 6 months, and the weeks leading into that there was a lot of fighting in the tank. I can't say that it was truly a female that changed over, or a weak male, but this just made me think of that.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, 3vi1p3nguin said:

It's been said before that the dominant female swordtail can become a male in the absence of a male in the tank. I've also seen it argued, that it was likely that the male was not a strong male prior to developing more obvious traits. I've had one tank that started with 4 juvenile females, that ended up having one develop male traits after almost 6 months, and the weeks leading into that there was a lot of fighting in the tank. I can't say that it was truly a female that changed over, or a weak male, but this just made me think of that.

I've been made aware of this very early on and I've checked every day to see if one of these females is a hidden male. I've had them since April of 2020 and all 4 are still females. The two juveniles are past 5 months old at this point and neither of them are showing any male traits but man I am hoping one of them ends up being a male. They are about the size the females(and the male) were when I originally got them so my hopes aren't too high.

2 minutes ago, Alec2cool said:

I've been made aware of this very early on and I've checked every day to see if one of these females is a hidden male. I've had them since April of 2020 and all 4 are still females. The two juveniles are past 5 months old at this point and neither of them are showing any male traits but man I am hoping one of them ends up being a male. They are about the size the females(and the male) were when I originally got them so my hopes aren't too high.

Yeah, probably unlikely at this point.