I think I understand some of the benefits of using light siestas and have seen a lot of the programming complexity people get into. I have a Finnex Stingray for my 10 gallon as well as an outlet timer. What methodology do you use (and what variables play into) determining an appropriate on/off cycle? 

I use a Kasa smart plug to program them in. My siestas are programmed around viewing periods 😅 I usually schedule my siestas around when I'm in class/at work so that the tank is more likely to be on when I am home to enjoy them. The plants don't seem to mind.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Streetwise said:

You could use a programmable outlet, or even a mechanical timer to do the timing. We have a siesta thread going:

Perhaps you missed the part where I mentioned that I already have an outlet timer. If I did not have one, I would indeed be interested in a “programmable outlet” (such as the one offered by Aquarium-Coop). I am not under the impression one can control the specific light spectrums of a non-programmable light from that sort of device. Therefore, I am interested in guidance specific to limitations of a non-programmable light paired with an outlet device. Your thread seems to focus on the programming I could not control even if I wanted to. For myself and on behalf of those that would only be purchasing an outlet device, what methodology do you use (and what variables play into) determining an appropriate on/off cycle?

There may be more value in @Streetwise's siesta thread for non-programmable lights than it first appears. The on/off cycle, that is the 'siestas' are applicable separate from the ability to control the spectrum of the light.

In that thread there is a discussion of the methodology and variables used to determine an appropriate on/off cycle using only outlet timers.

• Thanks 2

Let's say you had a six hour schedule with just on/off that was working for you. You could just slice it into two periods of three hours each, or three periods of two hours each. Scale up or down based on your setup. I don't think that the length of the actual siesta matters too much, but I use an hour minimum.

Just for comparison, when I have app control, I count ramp up and ramp down periods as half the value, since they are triangles instead of rectangles. So I would consider a two-hour ramp up/two-hour ramp down, as the equivalent as two hours of full light. I'm just keeping the same area under the curve.

I spent a lot of time with graph paper just drawing out the lighting schedule vs my own human schedule. If you tell me how many hours you are running now, and the time you want to start looking at your tank, and when you want the lights to be done for the day, I could mock-up a schedule for you.

• Thanks 1