Camallanus worms gravel vacuuming

So currently treating my tank with Expel P (levamisole) because my fish have levamisole. I was just wondering how important is the gravel vacuuming part after the treatment? I have been doing it every week but I am very paranoid I am missing stuff. Will I still be fine or nah?

Is there a reason you want to avoid the vacuuming? I do it every week as part of my routine maintenance even if my fish aren't sick.  I only understand the hesitation if there are a lot of plants that do not have strong roots. My thought is, when in doubt, vacuum it out. 🙂 

The vacuuming is important because it removes the paralyzed worms *and* can remove the eggs.  There's more than one component to the parasite load.  The eggs are not affected by the levamisole, which is why levamisole requires multiple treatments at intervals.  I think there's always a parasitic load, it's just a matter of managing it.  Normally otherwise healthy fish can deal with worms without showing any symptoms.  

• Like 1

On 4/15/2024 at 6:26 PM, NikkiRae said:

Is there a reason you want to avoid the vacuuming? I do it every week as part of my routine maintenance even if my fish aren't sick.  I only understand the hesitation if there are a lot of plants that do not have strong roots. My thought is, when in doubt, vacuum it out. 🙂 

Yeah my tank floor is covered with rocks, wood and plants lol so it’s very hard for me to do

another user here (@Colu, who i'm not seeing on this thread) recommended 4 consecutive weekly treatments to me, each with vac 24hrs after dosing. from what I've read/researched, camallanus worms get paralyzed by the meds, and are then passed/expelled by the fish (but not killed by the treatment). If the worms are then eaten, they don't survive the trip through the stomach, but any eggs in the eaten worms can pass through, and there could also be eggs consumed from the substrate. this is why it's so hard to eradicate/cure, I think.

On 4/15/2024 at 7:31 PM, TOtrees said:

another user here (@Colu, who i'm not seeing on this thread) recommended 4 consecutive weekly treatments to me, each with vac 24hrs after dosing. from what I've read/researched, camallanus worms get paralyzed by the meds, and are then passed/expelled by the fish (but not killed by the treatment). If the worms are then eaten, they don't survive the trip through the stomach, but any eggs in the eaten worms can pass through, and there could also be eggs consumed from the substrate. this is why it's so hard to eradicate/cure, I think.

Yep, he told me this exact plan also. I have been doing the vacuuming each week, just paranoid I’m not getting them all lol

That makes sense. In my 55 gallon, 20, and one of my 10's, I have a lot of plants but they are large and have deep root systems so I don't have to be to careful. In my 15 gallon I have a lot of mini leave grass and other plants that come out of the gravel and/or get sucked up in the vac. I have never had camallanus worms  in my aquarium (probably just jinxed myself), but I would personally vacuum based on what others with experience are saying. 

On 4/15/2024 at 6:49 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

The reason to vacuum is from potential ammonia spike from the decaying worms. It’s your choice but just be aware.

Really?? I thought it was to get rid of the eggs in the substrate (levamisole doesn’t do anything to eggs)

On 4/15/2024 at 12:48 PM, Cjbear087 said:

Really?? I thought it was to get rid of the eggs in the substrate (levamisole doesn’t do anything to eggs)

You won't get them all and is why several treatments are need to clear the infection completely. 

On 4/15/2024 at 7:50 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

You won't get them all and is why several treatments are need to clear the infection completely. 

Ah okay so there isn’t any problem with me missing a few eggs?? I’ve just gotta keep an eye on ammonia levels (which I do regularly anyway)?

On 4/15/2024 at 12:51 PM, Cjbear087 said:

Ah okay so there isn’t any problem with me missing a few eggs?? I’ve just gotta keep an eye on ammonia levels (which I do regularly anyway)?

You will never get them all. You'll repeat the treatment to kill the eggs that hatch before they create more eggs.

On 4/15/2024 at 7:52 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

You will never get them all. You'll repeat the treatment to kill the eggs that hatch before they create more eggs.

Ok that’s a relief. Thank you

• Like 1