Best setup for FX6?

So I’m planning on getting an FX6 for my discus tank, and was wondering what is the best setup for it in terms of filter media? Could someone let me know what I should have in each tray specifically for discus? Thanks. I’m not sure whether to get chemical or not.

On 4/14/2024 at 9:37 AM, Cjbear087 said:

So I’m planning on getting an FX6 for my discus tank,

So your original plan was an aquarium with a built in internal filter, change in plans?

Here is a link to Aquarium Science, nylon scrub pads are highly rated for bio-media. Seachem's Matrix is quite popular for canister filters but this web site has it rated low. In a brain dead moment, I fell prey to Seachem's marketing hype and was going to use Matix in my sump filter, I switched to K1 media. 

Personally I separate mechanical and bio filtering. My logic, I do not want to worry about killing off the bacteria in the mechanical filter media. I use filter socks and 100 micron felt pads which are cleaned in a washing machine. So if I own a canister filter, I want the ability to clean the foam pads with hot water if needed and would use care in handling the bio-media. 

I would use nylon scrub pads.

On 4/14/2024 at 3:22 PM, madmark285 said:

So your original plan was an aquarium with a built in internal filter, change in plans?

Here is a link to Aquarium Science, nylon scrub pads are highly rated for bio-media. Seachem's Matrix is quite popular for canister filters but this web site has it rated low. In a brain dead moment, I fell prey to Seachem's marketing hype and was going to use Matix in my sump filter, I switched to K1 media. 

Personally I separate mechanical and bio filtering. My logic, I do not want to worry about killing off the bacteria in the mechanical filter media. I use filter socks and 100 micron felt pads which are cleaned in a washing machine. So if I own a canister filter, I want the ability to clean the foam pads with hot water if needed and would use care in handling the bio-media. 

I would use nylon scrub pads.

No I was always planning on getting a canister, but only just realised today that the fx6 didn’t come with media.