Light height

Depends entirely on your light. I’m using week Aqua and I have the lights hung really far from the tank but I’m still able to grow the plants. IMG_1346.jpeg.73fcc6a141ce7101c01e579041a198d0.jpeg

ignore the towel and the other emmersed plants. My light is 14” above the tank surface and I’m still able to grow ludwigia in that tank  

• Like 1

Hi @svachon9,

The ACO is very similar in design to the Fluval Fresh & Plant 3.0, the ACO light if 50 watts and the Fluval is 46 watts.  I too have a 24" deep tank and with the light sitting on the frame of the tank at full output through clean glass tops at the substrate level light intensity is PAR@105 - high light.  Do I run my tank at that brightness?  No because I don't want an algae farm and even with CO2 in my tanks the amount of algae significantly increases if I am dosing fertilizer into the water column.  I typically run my tanks at a PAR level at the substrate between 50 -70 depending on the plants I have in the tank and if I am growing.  Hope this helps! -Roy

45 gallon tall (24" tall); PAR@70
2022-03-0145GallonMklasioensisCatropersonatusCroppedAdjSnSm.jpg.0b04cbc7bbd91d022bee26eae83b07e7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2024 at 8:11 PM, svachon9 said:

So would raising the light say 3" help disperse the light around the tank or does the height make the light less intense at the bottom or both?

The intens of light traveling through water is halved about every six inches (if I'm remembering correctly), but it travels through air much more efficiently. If raising the light would more evenly or more helpfully distribute the light in your tank, I say go for it. Three inches isn't even all that far removed.