I didn’t expect swordtail fry to grow this quick

knee

My swordtail gave birth last Saturday and I was able to catch about 25 babies. Put them in a breeder box and they started eating grindal worms on day 1. It’s now day 3 and I fed them grindal worms again but I noticed that they already grew bigger. 

I’ve always kept community tanks and just let things happen in the tank but my roommate was very adamant on catching the babies. I’m super excited to see how they will turn out. 

Vid of their first day and then today 

• Like 2

Live bearer fry are the King Kongs of the fry world.  They come out eating like pigs and grow crazy fast.  I’m glad your roommate talked you into being able to get an up close view of the process.  
WARNING… hand raising fry is so rewarding it’s highly addictive.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 4/9/2024 at 3:09 AM, Guppysnail said:

WARNING… hand raising fry is so rewarding it’s highly addictive.

I’m starting to love them. Their breeder box is the first thing I check now when I wake up in the morning 😂

I’m definitely keeping them to grow out then I’ll keep maybe 1 or 2 then probably sell or trade the rest. The male and female look very different so I’m excited to see how they will turn out 

• Like 1

Pretty cool.  Always loved swordtails.  Hard to find healthy ones with long swords.  Have always liked the original green ones.  Have fun.  I have a couple cichlid tanks and one guppy tank. Think I like the action and civility of the guppy tank. 

• Love 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/9/2024 at 4:49 PM, SoDaksam said:

Pretty cool.  Always loved swordtails.  Hard to find healthy ones with long swords.  Have always liked the original green ones.  Have fun.  I have a couple cichlid tanks and one guppy tank. Think I like the action and civility of the guppy tank. 

This is the dadIMG_1179.jpeg.c7a1a032c11f0cf1f7a4268e79034d33.jpegIMG_1182.jpeg.baac2a4a4e87e80a923ab35fabd8cb46.jpeg

I love how he turned out because he came from my group of swordtails I had before that I sold off. His dad didn’t have a double sword so I wasn’t expecting him to look like this. 

This is grandpa (dad of the swordtail above)

IMG_6781.jpeg.edfc4e0895dc249861dd96718d4b95c0.jpeg

And this is him as a baby IMG_7025.jpeg.a86a00386b6f4219d0bb764c4832e0c3.jpegIMG_7031.jpeg.d433bdff02cd90d81dd2ba2aab28947d.jpeg

Edited by knee