Treating fish with the 3 medicines you recommend

RyanflightattendantEMT

Hello there.  I love your channel on youtube.  I'm new at all this (been over 20 years since my last fish) and I recently bought a 20 gallon tank ( I know small right lol).   I just started doing a fishless cycle and the topic of quarantine fish is coming up, since we are all in some kind of quarantine lol.   My question is, when I do start to introduce fish into my aquarium and Ill be having small fish can I buy a 5 gallon quarantine tank for the 2 or 3 guppies or similar size fish to do the quarantine?  Second thing is about the 3 medications you recommend when introducing new fish, each medication recommends at different times to change water, while another says do not.  Based on your knowledge how do  you like to give the medication time frame and how many days and do we change water?  I do have a scale to cut the medication since most meds. are based on 10 gallon tank dose wise.  I just do not know if having a 20 gallon tank and a 10 gallon quarantine tank is practical in my living situation.  

Thanks for your time, 

Ryan Froemel

ryanfroemel@yahoo.com

10 hours ago, RyanflightattendantEMT said:

Hello there.  I love your channel on youtube.  I'm new at all this (been over 20 years since my last fish) and I recently bought a 20 gallon tank ( I know small right lol).   I just started doing a fishless cycle and the topic of quarantine fish is coming up, since we are all in some kind of quarantine lol.   My question is, when I do start to introduce fish into my aquarium and Ill be having small fish can I buy a 5 gallon quarantine tank for the 2 or 3 guppies or similar size fish to do the quarantine?  Second thing is about the 3 medications you recommend when introducing new fish, each medication recommends at different times to change water, while another says do not.  Based on your knowledge how do  you like to give the medication time frame and how many days and do we change water?  I do have a scale to cut the medication since most meds. are based on 10 gallon tank dose wise.  I just do not know if having a 20 gallon tank and a 10 gallon quarantine tank is practical in my living situation.  

Thanks for your time, 

Ryan Froemel

ryanfroemel@yahoo.com

Cory only uses meds to quarintine his fish in store because they only QT for one week, because its a store so they can't really have fish for 4-6 weeks that are not on sale.

Yes a 5 gallon would do fine for a quarintine tank. To make your life simple what I would do is only use meds with fish that show symptoms of illness. And quarintine for 4-6 weeks.

You can go to the fish store get your first fish and put them in the 20 gallon. Just wait for 4-6 weeks making sure they have no illnesses before adding other fish. You can only do this when there is no fish in the tank. This way you are quarintineing your fish in the 20gallon and not having to wait an extra 4-6 weeks with no fish in the tank. 

does this make sense?

The bottom line is don't use meds unless your fish are sick, some fish react badly with meds when there not sick (I've had a fish die because of this)