so many shrimp, what to choose...

FrozenFins

Alright so I have a empty 5 gallon with a lush carpet of monte carlo. Because its a carpet I feel like i could do both betta and shrimp. Heres my issue,

Bettas enjoy warmer water (78-80) mean while the red crystals I want like it colder (68-72) but the red crystals could go up to 76 degrees. 

OR

I could orange shrimp/ orange rillishrimp/ black shrimp/ blue dream shrimp all of these shrimp like warmer water but I don't like them as much as the red crystals. 

Yes I relize the betta could be kept happy at 76, but what choice would you do? Or would you do another kind of shrimp?

I would do ghost shrimp. Not a primary choice if you care for looks, but no less entertaining. They don't care too much about temperature and parameters and don't hide too much in presence of predators, at least in my experience.  Bettas don't seem to hunt them a lot while there is some evidence that other (colorful) types of shrimp can be selectively targeted by betta killing instincts. 

• Like 1

If you choose a colorful shrimp, I would say go with the cheaper of your option types. Yes, losing any shrimp to a fish is tragic, but losing $100+ worth of shrimp makes the hurt worse. With the thick carpet there's a good chance some can hide and live happy lives. Advice on picking the betta is to get the youngest and friendliest one you can. Also a betta with long fins is slower moving than one with short fins like a plakat. Put shrimp in first and see how your betta reacts while temperature acclimating. It's no guarantee there won't still be a massacre, but it gives the shrimpies and your wallet their best chance. Always have a back up plan for your back up plan lol. Good luck and hope it works out!

• Like 1