RODI with Water softener

Hi, currently my fish tank is in my bedroom upstairs and my bathroom in the bedroom is connected to a water softener as we have very hard water in our area. I have 2 questions;

1. Do I need an RO machine for the water softener at all? I’ve heard it isn’t the best to put in a freshwater tank. If it is right that softeners aren’t good for fresh tanks, the RODI would be very helpful because then I don’t have to heave buckets up and down the stairs (downstairs sink isn’t connected to softener) and I have a 90gal tank so it would take ages.

2. If I do need a water softener, I am aware I would have to remineralise the water. Would I be able to drain how ever much water I need in a water change, and then drip the RO straight into the aquarium until it’s filled, then add whatever minerals are needed once filled?

Any answers are appreciated, thanks

I have almost the exact same situation. I’ve used the water softener water without additives since before I knew it could be a problem and never had an issue. 

not saying it will work as not all water softeners are the same though.

On 4/2/2024 at 10:37 PM, macdaddy36 said:

I have almost the exact same situation. I’ve used the water softener water without additives since before I knew it could be a problem and never had an issue. 

not saying it will work as not all water softeners are the same though.

Ah okay, yeah my normal water is very hard so I’m not sure if that makes the softener stronger or something - don’t really wanna risk it that’s al

On 4/2/2024 at 6:01 PM, Cjbear087 said:

Ah okay, yeah my normal water is very hard so I’m not sure if that makes the softener stronger or something - don’t really wanna risk it that’s al

Our water is Great Lakes liquid rock well water even softened it comes out to pH 8.0. I don’t know how hard it is since we don’t have a bypass though.

On 4/2/2024 at 11:29 PM, lefty o said:

i am going to suggest you try it before you panic. way too much is made of the trace amounts of salt involved.

I’ve been doing some research, do softeners actually change the salinity or just swap calcium ions with sodium? If the latter, would I be okay adding the softened water and just remineralising once the tank is full again?

swapping calcium etc with sodium is changing the salinity. it is trace amounts, part per million. you would taste it in your drinking water long before it was ever enough salt to affect fish or plants. lifelong water softener user, plus i add salt on top of it.

Edited by lefty o
  • Like 1