What do y’all think, redid this all yesterday!

NickD

It’s mainly a Tiger barb tank with Florida darters, peacock Goldies, and clown loaches. I’m going to add some more javafern and other things but it was so dang dirty before

BEFORE: 

IMG_2170.jpeg.f449b56fc450c1dbf38298f3cce12b28.jpeg

AFTER: 

image.jpg.6241b6dd9021ef78af66ffa05b4735d1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Looks great for barbs!  They have places to swim through and around.  Perfect setup. 🙂 

Try to get yourself 3-5 pots of a foreground plant and start a carpet.  It'll help and potentially be a place for some eggs to make their way to.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 1:42 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Looks great for barbs!  They have places to swim through and around.  Perfect setup. 🙂 

Try to get yourself 3-5 pots of a foreground plant and start a carpet.  It'll help and potentially be a place for some eggs to make their way to.

And stems for the background and epiphytes for the wood, @NickD!

On 3/19/2024 at 9:38 PM, Pepere said:

It looks much better right side up!  😜

Probably takes a lot strain off of the lid, too, not having to hold all that water in!

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2024 at 12:32 PM, NickD said:

@Rube_Goldfishwhat stem plants would you recommend?

The easiest recommendation is to buy a bunch, maybe a half dozen species, and see which ones like your water the best, in that it's real easy for me to spend someone else's money!

Otherwise, some of my favorites are bacopa species, ludwigias, rotalas, limnophilas, and hygrophilas. There's also cabomba, anacharis, Pogostemon stellatus "octopus", and pearlweed, and lots of others that I'm surely forgetting.

I love stem plants because they grow quickly (soaking up nutrients as they do), can grow tall to visually fill vertical space, can provide cover for fish (and especially fry), and be easily propagated (so that, with time, one pot can become a whole tankful of plants).

I'd start at ACO's stem plant selection and see what looks good. Then look at other tanks that you like the look of and try those stems, too.

Yes, ACO is known for their plants. They will arrive alive and healthy. Remember though, all plants will need to convert to your water, and there’s no guarantee they will in fact convert to your water. You are essentially buying the roots, and you remain hopeful that the plants like your water. That’s why someone mentioned above to try a bunch of different species and see what plants thrive in your water. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 12:56 PM, NickD said:

@Rube_Goldfishwhen getting plants from ACC, do they arrive alive and decent because I live in Texas, sooo

Yes, I'm in Pennsylvania and their operation is really top-notch; I've bought a bunch of plants from them and they all arrived in good health. And if they hadn't, i have no doubt they would have sent replacements right away. In fact, I sort of remember them saying something to the effect of their online plant sales being limited to plants that shipped well. I'm trying to not sound like a commercial, but ACO is really good at this sort of thing, and their plants are great (and their customer service is even better).

That said, @AllFishNoBrakes is right that some plants just won't take to your tank. There are no guarantees with living things, you know?