Wood Floor Protection?

Tetra Guy

So I'm thinking of putting a 55 gallon aquarium in the sunroom of my house.  I'm wary of water stains on the old varnished floor.  I can pipe water in and out but as hard as I try, I always seem to splash water around my aquariums during weekly maintenance.    Can anyone recommend a solution to protect the floors?  Something like a drip pan with a raised lip.   (A plain plastic office floor protector gets water underneath.  Tried that! )   Thanks!!!! 

54 minutes ago, Tetra Guy said:

So I'm thinking of putting a 55 gallon aquarium in the sunroom of my house.  I'm wary of water stains on the old varnished floor.  I can pipe water in and out but as hard as I try, I always seem to splash water around my aquariums during weekly maintenance.    Can anyone recommend a solution to protect the floors?  Something like a drip pan with a raised lip.   (A plain plastic office floor protector gets water underneath.  Tried that! )   Thanks!!!! 

I can appreciate your concern.  I remember polishing/waxing old hardwood floors and water stains are indeed a pain.  We had multiple rooms with those floors.  Actually one of my 55 gallon aquariums is in an area with a sensitive floor.  Am ultra careful not to drip or splash, but that's easier said than done.  

Thinking back I remember seeing large lipped restaurant plastic serving trays.  Maybe you could get a couple and DIY something.  

Personally, I use throw carpets, when doing maintenance, but everyone has their own ideas.  

Great ideas so far, keep 'em coming!   Got to check out the oil drip pan, seems kind of fool proof.  Can't be too ugly though.  Constant battle to keep the floors decent, don't wanna stack the deck against me.   The fiancee likes fish, but she's not exactly an enthusiast, loves her hardwood floors.  😅

4 minutes ago, Tetra Guy said:

Great ideas so far, keep 'em coming!   Got to check out the oil drip pan, seems kind of fool proof.  Can't be too ugly though.  Constant battle to keep the floors decent, don't wanna stack the deck against me.   The fiancee likes fish, but she's not exactly an enthusiast, loves her hardwood floors.  😅

Have you considered marrying the fish and having a fiancée room? 🤔

• Haha 1

I searched oil drip pans, there's a rubber backed carpet thing for garage floors that supposedly will absorb up to half a gallon of fluid!    Also has potential  (add a 5 gallon absorbent carpet to the list of deam aquarium products! 😆) .    Thanks for the ideas, some definite leads here!      

• Like 1