"younger" aquarists

Lemon

I have a single extension cord from a GFI outlet running into a 3 way splitter. I have 3 more power strips plugged into that splitter. One of the power strips has a timer on it, and all of the lights are plugged into that one. Then I have a strip for the 75 gallon, and then a strip for the 10s. 

I do have some heavy duty extension cords though just to cover it haha. 

Also I get the nervousness! It definitely is a balancing act, you don't wanna cause a fire haha. I'm not an electrician or a fire fighter... But I do work with electricity a lot as a hobby, and I contract with a fire department and have been told its fine haha

20201119_123441.jpg

20201119_123443.jpg

20201119_123450.jpg

20201119_123516.jpg

1 hour ago, quirkylemon103 said:

i could put tanks in my closet but it doesn't have any outlets so i would to pay someone to put one in or run a extension cord also I'm setting up a 75 gallon reef(I'm so close just waiting for the tank to cycle and for some hose clamps to get her) so i would be worried about the amount of electricity on the circuit for my room. 

This is the biggest limiting factor in the hobby for me - electrical outlets and number of circuit breakers in my small, old house.

I don't know how the forums are these days, but I used to read a lot on Nano Reef, during my break from aquariums. My last marine tank was flooded out by Irene in 2011, but when I came back, I picked planted tanks.

1765934789_nano-reefcommunity.png.73a8d9
WWW.NANO-REEF.COM

Join the Nano-Reef Community, a forum of saltwater reef aquarium hobbyists sharing experiences building small nano reef tanks. Find an extensive library of knowledge in our articles and forum discussions...

Edited by Streetwise

11 hours ago, quirkylemon103 said:

I'm curios how many fishkeepers there are under 18

also how it affects the hobby for you

how it affects the hobby for me is i share a room with my brother so i can't have a ton of tanks also being able to go to the fish store(it 40-60 minutes away) 

I am not able to get a lot of tanks or drive to fish stores. There is a fish store walking distance from me but I need to be above 18 to purchase anything

2 hours ago, Pookies Aquatics said:

I am not able to get a lot of tanks or drive to fish stores. There is a fish store walking distance from me but I need to be above 18 to purchase anything

Ooh, yes! I have many an awkward memory of asking an employee to bag some fish for me only to be asked where my parents are, then told that I would need to get them before they could let me get anything. I stopped leaving my parents in the car after the first couple trips. 😅

I’m 20 but I got back into the hobby when I was 18 once I got to college. Before that, my parents let me have a very small hex tank and then a 10 gallon when I was a kid. After I crashed the 10 gallon, my parents never let me set it back up and I was pretty busy with high school. At the end of my senior year I convinced my sister to help me set it up without telling them and I drove her to Petco to pick stuff out 😅 my dad found out after we’d gotten fish and set it up. He wasn’t happy but my sis got to keep it after I left. Now I have it still set up at home with fish from college bc of covid and I have fish in my college apartment now, my parents aren’t happy but they can’t stop me 😈 hang in there guys, you’ll find a way.

• Love 1

26 minutes ago, Steph’s Fish and Plants said:

I’m 20 but I got back into the hobby when I was 18 once I got to college. Before that, my parents let me have a very small hex tank and then a 10 gallon when I was a kid. After I crashed the 10 gallon, my parents never let me set it back up and I was pretty busy with high school. At the end of my senior year I convinced my sister to help me set it up without telling them and I drove her to Petco to pick stuff out 😅 my dad found out after we’d gotten fish and set it up. He wasn’t happy but my sis got to keep it after I left. Now I have it still set up at home with fish from college bc of covid and I have fish in my college apartment now, my parents aren’t happy but they can’t stop me 😈 hang in there guys, you’ll find a way.

why are your parents not happy about you having aquariums if your living in apartment?

• 4 months later...

Wow....you guys all have it hard lol 14 here. I have 2 great LFSs stocked with some crazy stuff, one about 5-10 minutes on bike and the other ~20. Well, thats according to Google Maps. Usually takes me 5-10 more minutes. But thats crazy...some of you guys had to have parental vision with you guys? Sounds harsh and awkward. Only have a 10 g since I really don't think I can afford fertilizers and lights for something like a 40g (basically my "perfect" tank size), hoping to get a 20g too. But for now, have to stick with my new funny looking honey gouramis. 

• Like 1

Thoughts and prayers out to you youngins! I'm in my late 30's, no kids,  just got my driver's license a few years ago, just paid off my student loans, have a reasonable mortgage, work several freelance jobs on top of my 9-5, and I still think to myself "thank god I don't have any homework and I can drive to petsmart whenever I want."

I'm not gonna lie, your 20's will be rough, especially these days. Pay off your credit cards in full every month, remove any overdraft protection on your checking accounts, and be prepared to move around a lot. But your 30's, they can be really good. It's easy to dump a lot of money into fish tanks, especially with no one telling you no. But learning how to keep fish happy on a budget now will give you skills you can use for a lifetime!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kirsten said:

Thoughts and prayers out to you youngins! I'm in my late 30's, no kids,  just got my driver's license a few years ago, just paid off my student loans, have a reasonable mortgage, work several freelance jobs on top of my 9-5, and I still think to myself "thank god I don't have any homework and I can drive to petsmart whenever I want."

I'm not gonna lie, your 20's will be rough, especially these days. Pay off your credit cards in full every month, remove any overdraft protection on your checking accounts, and be prepared to move around a lot. But your 30's, they can be really good. It's easy to dump a lot of money into fish tanks, especially with no one telling you no. But learning how to keep fish happy on a budget now will give you skills you can use for a lifetime!

duly noted

• Like 2

@Demobanana petlands in my provinces require parents with a child to buy an animal. In away it makes sense because that way the parents are on board with the pet, and in most cases its the parent taking care of the animal, not the child. Not any of my LFS though, very glad about that.

Haha, I just came back from walking to my LFS. I would bike but theres a snow storm. Yep a snow storm in mid april, well thats Manitoba for ya! Walking is like 40minutes, biking is like 15 minutes. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, James Black said:

@Demobanana petlands in my provinces require parents with a child to buy an animal. In away it makes sense because that way the parents are on board with the pet, and in most cases its the parent taking care of the animal, not the child. Not any of my LFS though, very glad about that.

Haha, I just came back from walking to my LFS. I would bike but theres a snow storm. Yep a snow storm in mid april, well thats Manitoba for ya! Walking is like 40minutes, biking is like 15 minutes. 

wow, here in CA its always a breeze to bike there, sometimes it gets a little chilly. I don't know about our local petco or anything requiring you to be with your parents, never tried it. Not at my LFS though luckily. But wow, a snowstorm. How would you get shrimp and fish through that? Wrap em up in a bagpack with sweaters?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2