Would shrimp escape from a rimless aquarium?

When my rimless aquarium looked like this all choked with 1" of dense plants at the top,

IMG_2589.JPG.aaaaec7d817a4deab9f8e67bd698842d.JPG

all of the shrimp stayed in the aquarium.

But the other day, I moved the plants,

IMG_2590.JPG.57f59986a70f8516b42c4abc3ee1ec39.JPG

and this is what happened.

IMG_2586.JPG.284f1ef3b2305d87bb3fabc94d085ada.JPG

Actually, there were several jumpers (I think my cats ate a few).

None of the shrimp climbed, but their jumping abilities are positively Olympian!

So you can easily keep shrimp in a rimless (and presumably topless, although I do have glass tops for my rimless tanks, I don't use them) tank. Just make sure you have a dense cover of floating plants.

• Sad 2

I've had shrimp get out of a tank with a glass lid on it. Presumably through the opening where airlines and a power cord come in. I assume they crawled up and out. My solution was to stuff some filter floss in the opening.

Edited by MickS77

Huh. My cherry shrimp are in 7 different lidless tanks. I have had snails climb out and the rare fish jump, but none of the shrimp have ever left. I have a betta in a rimless 5g. The shrimp in there mostly just don't grow very fast. He eats their food.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brandy said:

Huh. My cherry shrimp are in 7 different lidless tanks. I have had snails climb out and the rare fish jump, but none of the shrimp have ever left.

My cats uses the aquarium in the picture above as a water bowl and I theorize that the looming predator is what startles the shrimp into jumping.

And the ghost shrimp I keep are natural jumpers. When I seine for them in the wild you can see hundreds of them at time leaping out the water ahead of the seine.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Daniel said:

My cats uses the aquarium in the picture above as a water bowl and I theorize that the looming predator is what startles the shrimp into jumping.

And the ghost shrimp I keep are natural jumpers. When I seine for them in the wild you can see hundreds of them at time leaping out the water ahead of the seine.

Could you record a video of this? This would amazing to see!

• Like 1

Next time I seine for ghost shrimp I will get some video of it. But don’t hold your breath. I don’t have any current plans to go out to the coastal plain and seine ghost shrimp in the foreseeable future.

I want to continue my posts of collecting native aquarium plants in the wild. Currently if I go out now, I’m looking for plants. Just like everybody else, what I want to see is what plants look like in their native locations. I learn more from that than reading books.

• Like 2

It is hard for me to say if they climb out or jump out, but they can ultimately find themselves outside of a tank. I rarely witness the act and often only find the bodies. I caught this one making the climb. It wasn't successful, though it came pretty close by climbing the glass. I would make sure to keep some distance between the water surface and the rim.Screenshot_2020-11-20-12-02-37.png.fc90c4e4ce4c964d2591f1ea3b3be54a.png

• Like 1