Guppy Fin Rot or Fin Nipped?

FrozenFins

Hey everyone my guppy that I got 2 weeks ago either has finrot or fin nipping. I spotted it a few days ago and it hasn't gotten worse so since then so maybe its not finrot

here are my water paramerters

PH 7.2

Nitrate - 10ppm

Nitrie - 0ppm

He has also been glass surfing lots, in case that helps. My other guppy has also been glass surfing lots, and may have fin rot too.

My other question is, will a fish have fin rot and not show any symptoms?

IMG-20201118-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20201118-WA0000.jpg

Edited by James Black

I'm guessing it's some mild fin rot based on the discolored edges around where pieces are missing. Fin rot is a symptom of another problem rather than a disease of its own. The symptom always returns if you don't find the source! If you have other fish with the same symptom, the cause is most likely environmental rather than something that is wrong with that specific fish. Common stress factors are positive amounts of ammonia or nitrate, sharp decor, bad neighbors, excessive (or not enough) filter flow, or incorrect temperature. It's VERY possible that your angelfish has decided to mean mug your guppies so that's the first thing I'd change if it were my fish. Angels can be extremely testy depending on their personality, coming from someone who is in love with them.

With more advanced fin rot you may start to see symptoms of a secondary infection (fungal or bacterial, though in my experience treating bettas it's always been bacterial). In that case I'd suggest dosing with Maracyn and Ich-X to stave off secondary infections until the fish recovers. Advanced fin rot ranges from frayed looking fins, pieces falling off, or even the entire appendage rotting away. Based on your photo I don't think this is necessary, though you're certainly welcome to medicate pre-emptively while the fish are recovering. I'd just advise taking care of the source of the fin rot or else it will come back after treatment is completed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ange said:

I'm guessing it's some mild fin rot based on the discolored edges around where pieces are missing. Fin rot is a symptom of another problem rather than a disease of its own. The symptom always returns if you don't find the source! If you have other fish with the same symptom, the cause is most likely environmental rather than something that is wrong with that specific fish. Common stress factors are positive amounts of ammonia or nitrate, sharp decor, bad neighbors, excessive (or not enough) filter flow, or incorrect temperature. It's VERY possible that your angelfish has decided to mean mug your guppies so that's the first thing I'd change if it were my fish. Angels can be extremely testy depending on their personality, coming from someone who is in love with them.

With more advanced fin rot you may start to see symptoms of a secondary infection (fungal or bacterial, though in my experience treating bettas it's always been bacterial). In that case I'd suggest dosing with Maracyn and Ich-X to stave off secondary infections until the fish recovers. Advanced fin rot ranges from frayed looking fins, pieces falling off, or even the entire appendage rotting away. Based on your photo I don't think this is necessary, though you're certainly welcome to medicate pre-emptively while the fish are recovering. I'd just advise taking care of the source of the fin rot or else it will come back after treatment is completed.

okay thanks! I will probably move them to my qt tank to see if the angelfish are the problem. will it go away by itself or should I add something to the water

• Like 1