Dwarf Emerald Rasboras and Golden Minnows

Scaperoot

About a month ago, I added 8 Dwarf Emerald Rasboras to a 20 long (pic attached) that already had a female Betta, 3 Venezuelan Corydoras, and 10 Golden Minnows. The Betta never bothers anyone. It's a pretty heavily planted tank. Half is covered in wood, stone, and stem plants. The other half has various crypts. Last week, I noticed that the Rasboras hardly come out. As a matter of fact, I never see more than two out at any given time. When I do see them, they get chased off by the adult Minnows. Is this just a bad fit? I've had these same Minnows in a tank with CPDs, and they never chased. I don't even know how to confirm all 8 Rasboras are still alive. 

Sienna tank.jpg

• Like 1

I have CPD similar in behavior to the emeralds.  I have kept them in many tanks. If the plants are low in height they will spend time in open water. When they are tall or bushy dense I seldom see them in open water unless they are in a species only tank for me. 

• Like 2

On 2/13/2024 at 9:33 AM, Guppysnail said:

I have CPD similar in behavior to the emeralds.  I have kept them in many tanks. If the plants are low in height they will spend time in open water. When they are tall or bushy dense I seldom see them in open water unless they are in a species only tank for me. 

Shame. I should have looked into this before purchasing. Maybe some day I'll look into a species only setup. They're truly beautiful fish. 

If you weight a clump of unresistable moss in this front corner they will come out and spawn at sunup. Then spend the morning there eating eggs. It is very amusing to watch. It also helps them conquer their fear of that open space. I put a front corner clump in all my CPD tanks. 

6D5213BD-B631-4D62-AEA6-071EB74AD6B2.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 1

I have a school of 9 emerald dwarf rasboras in a heavily planted 10 gallon with some dwarf cories and 1 oto catfish. The rasboras swim around in the open when no people are close to the tank, but as soon as I walk close, they immediately hide...I wish they would come out more too!

My kids are always running by the tank, so I'm sure mine are more skittish than most fish... 

• Like 1

When I had 8 CPDs they hid more than they came out. When I got 4 more all of a sudden they were out and about all over the place, so if you think your tank can handle it, it might be worth getting a few more to see if that helps. You could also try getting some small, less shy fish that don't need friends. Like a couple of Endler's or something. I also added a few of those to my setup and now the CPDs aren't just out more but they are also at the top of the tank way more often than they were before (which was basically never).

• Like 3