5 gallon portrait stocking

Gideyon

I'll be getting the Marineland Portrait 5 gallon soon.   My original plan was for a betta, but I'm not finding a heater I can feel comfortable with. 

The room temp will be 69-72 in the winter, and 75-77 in the summer. 

Given the shape of the tank, any stocking ideas for a heaterless tank? 

What I've considered already: 3 male guppies, 3 male endlers. 

• Like 1

Hi. I’m uncertain of your water parameters to really give specific suggestions.  
If you have water that is not to soft Heterandria formosa least killifish are absolute darlings that can live and thrive in a 5 gallon unheated tank. I have bred them previously and just last month retrieved some of my original strain from a friend to breed them again. 
They breed much slower than guppies and only give birth 1 at a time so you do not fear quick overpopulation.  6BFFF4FA-D3DF-4FAD-9C8A-3FE810E5D27B.jpeg.2ff20f762c826278c9b4579cbd0fed82.jpeg

Boraras merah Phoenix rasbora are tiny and brilliantly colored and do well unheated in small tanks.EE1AAB23-20DF-4467-9C2F-8F09FF9539A5.jpeg.698defd5d7c94e8557e2b2c090ae9650.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2024 at 6:01 PM, Gideyon said:

My sons are now wanting guppies because I said I could probably put 3-4 in there (although I've seen 5 in the same tank). 

Researching guppy care for the first time..... 

I do not suggest guppies in a 5 gallon at all. They are highly active fish and therefore need space to move around. They also reproduce very quickly if you get any females. If you get males you have to deal with setting up the tank properly to avoid aggression or they will kill each other. One of the things required to deal with aggression is space. 

Chili rasbora are a fish you could have multiple of in this tank though. Shrimp or snails are always a solid option as well. 

I found this video and it has some really amazing suggestions:

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 2/18/2024 at 2:44 PM, Gideyon said:

I appreciate the feedback.  I've read many suggestions on this, even the Co-op's guide, and 3 males in a 5 seems to be okay. 

But we'll see.  Maybe I can still convince them that a betta is better. I just have more experience with it. 

If u can convince them for a betta, that would be great! Just get the short fin females because they are more healthy and swim more because they don’t have all that heavy finnage @Gideyon

• Love 1