A few questions!

Guppy Lover

Hi, I've just joined the forum and have a few questions regarding re-doing my 36-gallon tank. 

1. How do I go about breeding black-skirt tetras? I have a few chonky females in my tank (as well as some males) and I am interested in breeding them! 

2. How does one plant hornwort?

3. I currently have fish gravel in my tank, when I re-do it could I put potting soil on the bottom and top it with my current gravel? 

4. What's the best budget-friendly fertilizer? Is seachem excel okay?  I plan on getting: 2 hornwort, 1 red tiger lily, water lettuce, frogbit, dwarf hair grass, and horseshoe gold (carpeting plant?) 

5. What's the best potting soil for underneath my gravel?

Sorry for all the questions, I want to move my fishies asap so they are all happy again!  

TIA!!

• Like 1

For hornwort. 2 options, I have heard you can plant the stem like a regular plant. I have never done this. Mostly hornwort is a free floating plant. When it gets too big, just tear chunks off. Either chuck it in another tank or dispose of it. It does grow incredibly fast, that makes it one of the best plants for removing nitrates. It also provides a lot of cover for small fish and fry. It’s only drawback, when/if it dies, it’s leaves will shed like pine needles from a dead pine tree

• Like 2

I have only been able to kill hornewort once. From a tank I removed all the fish from. It drained all the nitrogen and just gave up. You will only need one. It’s one of the fastest growers there is. It really will take over a tank if not watched. But easy to trim back. Just tear bits off. A small amount of hornwort goes a very long way 

• Like 1

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/hornwort-care

From the article:

Hornwort grows best as a floating plant, where it has greater access to light and carbon dioxide from the air. Some people like to plant it into the substrate or attach it to hardscape, but because it never grows proper roots, the attached end tends to rot away.

The co op ferts are really good. I personally don't like doing soil under gravel. I did it once and it can get messy if you move stuff around in the tank. It's definitely a viable option though.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 11:02 AM, Guppy Lover said:

Hi, I've just joined the forum and have a few questions regarding re-doing my 36-gallon tank. 

1. How do I go about breeding black-skirt tetras? I have a few chonky females in my tank (as well as some males) and I am interested in breeding them! 

2. How does one plant hornwort?

3. I currently have fish gravel in my tank, when I re-do it could I put potting soil on the bottom and top it with my current gravel? 

4. What's the best budget-friendly fertilizer? Is seachem excel okay?  I plan on getting: 2 hornwort, 1 red tiger lily, water lettuce, frogbit, dwarf hair grass, and horseshoe gold (carpeting plant?) 

5. What's the best potting soil for underneath my gravel?

Sorry for all the questions, I want to move my fishies asap so they are all happy again!  

TIA!!

agree with @lefty o, it is the most expensive fertilizer i think but it is the best!! @Guppy Lover

On 2/5/2024 at 12:46 PM, GoofyGarra said:

a bunch of stems wrapped with a plant weight placed on the substrate not planted

i was wondering how. seems like too much effort for a chuck in and go plant

• Like 1

For the substrate, gravel will actually work okay by itself. all the fish waste will filter down into it and eventually act as fertilizer. So, you'd need root tabs for a couple of months, then you could cut back on them. 

soil under gravel would be a mess. it would constantly bleed upwards into the tank. you could use a layer of soil and cap it with a sand substrate, but when you puncture the sand, the soil eventually rises through.  you could put it in mesh bags. 

Honestly, i just use straight gravel. My plants are fine. I grow swords, crypts, dwarf sag, red lotus. and the usual java fern/moss and anubias. and hornwort.

• Like 1

some of the smaller carpeting plants won't grab ahold of the gravel. I once tried to anchor monte carlo in the gravel. It let go and ended up being a floater, kind of a bigger duck weed. it did really well for a long time

there are miniature versions of sword and crypts that could be used for a carpet

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 1:34 PM, Guppy Lover said:

@Tony s Sweet! Thanks! 

On 2/5/2024 at 1:17 PM, Guppy Lover said:

Thank you everybody! What about breeding the BST and my substrate? 

Yea I just ordered some carpeting plants from AC and I have premium aquarium gravel and it prob will be fine. I wouldn’t worry about it bu I agree with @Tony s, root tabs will be needed at first. I didn’t order and because I got micro sword and Pearl weed that don’t need it neccessarily. I hope this info that everyone has said helps!! @Guppy Lover