Aquarium Coop Root Tabs

I have been using the black, blocky, slab-of-chalk-looking root tabs for a few years now (trying not to mention a brand name) and I recently switched to the Aquarium Co-Op ones simply because they were less expensive. That was literally my only motive. I thought, hmm these are less expensive, I hope they work.

However, after about a month+ of planting the tabs in the substrate, my crypts and swords have exploded in size and growth rate. My Wendtii Red are easily 12" high. Lot of little ones popping up through the substrate that I can now propagate to other tanks. 

Maybe something else is going on and I'm falsely attributing this growth to the Co-Op's tabs, but this is literally the only change (I haven't changed other ferts and don't use EasyGreen liquid). This is a very low-tech planted setup. 

Anyway, wanted to share my experience as I really like what I'm seeing after switching from the the more expensive slabs of black chalk offered by a larger company. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

I have a couple swords and crypts that I put four tabs under every 4-6 weeks because they are so big.

Hmmm. Yeah I was sticking to the three month schedule. 

I'll monitor their growth and adjust if needed.

I do appreciate the fantastic growth, but on the other hand, when plants grow too fast, I gotta get in there and do some maint and thin them out.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, tolstoy21 said:

I have been using the black, blocky, slab-of-chalk-looking root tabs for a few years now (trying not to mention a brand name) and I recently switched to the Aquarium Co-Op ones simply because they were less expensive. That was literally my only motive. I thought, hmm these are less expensive, I hope they work.

However, after about a month+ of planting the tabs in the substrate, my crypts and swords have exploded in size and growth rate. My Wendtii Red are easily 12" high. Lot of little ones popping up through the substrate that I can now propagate to other tanks. 

Maybe something else is going on and I'm falsely attributing this growth to the Co-Op's tabs, but this is literally the only change (I haven't changed other ferts and don't use EasyGreen liquid). This is a very low-tech planted setup. 

Anyway, wanted to share my experience as I really like what I'm seeing after switching from the the more expensive slabs of black chalk offered by a larger company. 

Admittedly, the Co-Op root tabs seemed to work a little better than others I have tried.  What really made the noticeable difference for me with my Amazon Sword plants was to space the root tabs in a more narrow "grid-like" pattern.  Granted, the sword plants were getting larger and probably needed more nutrients.  I like the product, all in all.  

Here is an informative video for anyone, that may be interested. The "Rooted Plant" talk starts around 07:18 in the video.  

Love the EG Root Tabs. They got my Pogostemon Stellatus 'Octopus' reaching for the top of the tank, Val too. 

One minor complaint...when I attempt to plant them the sand pushes them out of the tweezers and then they float away and have to be chased down. Too tight of grip with the tweezers crushes the capsule.   

Edited by L.W. Wetarm

That's my one gripe with the root tabs as well. They're great in most applications, but especially in my 50 hex where I'm unable to completely reach the bottom due to its height I struggle with them and ended up having to use the Seachem tabs for that one situation. I'm growing out some Amazon swords that are HEAVY root feeders so I added extra tabs before drowning the tank just so that more time will pass before I have to refresh the substrate.

4 minutes ago, ange said:

That's my one gripe with the root tabs as well. They're great in most applications, but especially in my 50 hex where I'm unable to completely reach the bottom due to its height I struggle with them...

@ange Did you ever see @Bill Smith fabulous Pex Pillar invention?

For under $10, your root tab problems are a thing of the past! 🙂

3 hours ago, L.W. Wetarm said:

One minor complaint...when I attempt to plant them the sand pushes them out of the tweezers and then they float away and have to be chased down. Too tight of grip with the tweezers crushes the capsule.   

I found that too, so I just use my fingers. 

31 minutes ago, L.W. Wetarm said:

Still better than the API tabs. They start dissolving and break apart before you can hit the sand. 🤦‍♂️

I've never had the misfortune of using that product haha 👀 I know Irene has made a video comparing root tabs but I kind of want to do my own experiments with Seachem vs Aquarium Co-Op in my own water conditions + substrates that I commonly use. Maybe one day.

It’s really hard to go wrong with the easy line.  Love the results.

I heard an interesting term at work today: “Extreme Ownership
In context it’s taking ownership of your program, issue, or problem, and seeing it through; all the way; seeking perfection; without pause or hesitation.  For my fellow USAF Alumni, Excellence in all we do.  (Yeah, still working for the Air Force, still bleeding Blue)

Instantly I thought about @Cory and the AquariumCoop Crew.  Radical commitment to prompt shipping, unparalleled customer service, and top quality products.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cory said:

I personally don't have this problem but I can see how some who use sand could. 

Yeah, nothing stays put in Flourite sand without hassle.

Tweezers in sand never work because as you try to release anything, you inadvertently move the sand aside as the tweezers expand and create a path for a stem plant or a root tab to escape upwards. The angled tweezers work better. But in both cases, it's easy to crush the tabs.  

In the end, there is no tool engineered with more sophistication, control and tactile feedback that ones own fingers. If I just go that old-fashioned route, I never have problems with root tabs that like to float.

Edited by tolstoy21