How often can you do the hydrogen peroxide 1-2 punch?

I've been fighting algae since the day I got my Aquarium. It's been over a year now. I recently saw a video about doing this treatment. I've done it twice now, each one one week apart. Is it possible to overdo it? I put in the hydrogen peroxide, wait 15 minutes and then do a major water change.  TIA. 

Edited by Herefishie

Hydrogen Peroxide is a great tool. You just have to be cautious as it can kill your beneficial bacteria. 

Early in my hobby I dosed the whole tank a couple of times. More recently I’ve used it to spot treat areas of concern. I always have to remind myself that algae problems didn’t happen overnight, and getting rid of it is a process, too. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2024 at 3:50 PM, Galabar said:

Are we talking about dosing your entire tank with hydrogen peroxide?  Is that with fish in it?

Yes. They call  this 1 – 2  treatment a whole tank treatment with the hydrogen peroxide. You don't use very much. I did take my mystery snail out and it didn't seem to bother the fish but I'm not really sure that it actually did anything as far as the algae in the tank and on the plants.

Hydrogen peroxide breaks down to water and oxygen so it’s relatively harmless, but it does kill algae. 

I bought some printer ink syringes with fine metal tips to spot treat problem areas. I turn off filtration, treat with a few ml’s, and then wait like 20 minutes and turn filtration back on. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2024 at 4:33 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Hydrogen peroxide breaks down to water and oxygen so it’s relatively harmless, but it does kill algae. 

I bought some printer ink syringes with fine metal tips to spot treat problem areas. I turn off filtration, treat with a few ml’s, and then wait like 20 minutes and turn filtration back on. 

Yeah, from what I've seen (and I think Cory did a video on it), it looked like you would target the hydrogen peroxide on specific areas (like plants and rocks).

You can overdose, and you can abuse the plants to a point where they give up. I believe most treatments take  place on consecutive days.  Opinions on peroxide treatments vary.  The video demonstrates a whole tank treatment.  You can damage some of the BB, so it is important to turn off all pumps and remove sponge filters.  The water needs to be still especially if you are spot treating.  I usually treat for at least one hour with the lights off. Wait at least 24 hours between treatments.

• Thanks 1