Yellowing and Spotted Plant Leaves...What Should I Do?

I have a 55 gallon tank with Anubias  and Java Ferns.

I dose with Easy Green, 5 squirts, 3 times and week( Monday, Wednesday and Friday)

I do a partial water change every weekend to introduce new minerals  to the plants, my water PH appears to be around 7ish according to the AC strips.

Some leaves are pale and develop spots...Should I increase my  dosing schedule? I thought that anubia and Java fern were 'low feeders'.

Thankstankoct2023.jpg.a7996d677f8832a6f962e1ddb4a9cea3.jpg sickanubias.jpg.6c230ab3357687e55b68f9a11fa1026f.jpg

Edited by Ohio FishPlant Dude

Thanks...I will try increasing my dosage...my plants have increased in volume so they probably require more nutrients.( they must be quite hungry!)

I use to have green spot algae all over my glass and anubia plants , then one day, all the algae disappeared magically!

When I test my water, the nitrate level is always very low, maybe that is a clue why the algae disappeared.Perhaps I should increase my fish population too, it is currently understocked with mostly tetras.

Do my AC test strip colors give any other clues for advice? 

ph results.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 7:18 PM, Ohio FishPlant Dude said:

Thanks...I will try increasing my dosage...my plants have increased in volume so they probably require more nutrients.( they must be quite hungry!)

I use to have green spot algae all over my glass and anubia plants , then one day, all the algae disappeared magically!

When I test my water, the nitrate level is always very low, maybe that is a clue why the algae disappeared.Perhaps I should increase my fish population too, it is currently understocked with mostly tetras.

Do my AC test strip colors give any other clues for advice? 

ph results.jpg

Is there any way at all to read ammonia on there?….if not I would find one to do so so nothing goes wrong….everything is looking good on there….gh is pretty low it appears or is that super high gh?

My aquarium is very maturely cycled, having been set up for over 15 years. I know that ammonia is never a problem.the tank is under-stocked.

Even when fish die( I have amano shrimp who must consume them), I never have ammonia spikes, or rarely see any dead fish.

I never expected to have to feed the plants so often, but now I realize that as the plants grow larger, the tank requires more food to support the mass.

Java Fern loves Easy Green in my water, it grows to the surface of my 55...I have to trim and discard often.

I  cannot grow bunch plants.( they slowly decline) Perhaps my nitrates are too low and  the Java Fern/anubias are sucking up all the nutrients. I still manage to create interesting leaf contrasts/texture due to the many varieties of JF& A. With increased dosing, I will try to grow bunch plants again!AquariumJan252024.jpg.3a6b742a68fc0fc725feed9b4e9f0998.jpg 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 6:47 PM, Ohio FishPlant Dude said:

My aquarium is very maturely cycled, having been set up for over 15 years. I know that ammonia is never a problem.the tank is under-stocked.

Even when fish die( I have amano shrimp who must consume them), I never have ammonia spikes, or rarely see any dead fish.

I never expected to have to feed the plants so often, but now I realize that as the plants grow larger, the tank requires more food to support the mass.

Java Fern loves Easy Green in my water, it grows to the surface of my 55...I have to trim and discard often.

I  cannot grow bunch plants.( they slowly decline) Perhaps my nitrates are too low and  the Java Fern/anubias are sucking up all the nutrients. I still manage to create interesting leaf contrasts/texture due to the many varieties of JF& A. With increased dosing, I will try to grow bunch plants again!AquariumJan252024.jpg.3a6b742a68fc0fc725feed9b4e9f0998.jpg 

U could add root tabs if your Java fern is in the gravel or substrate….

But idk if that would help….more dosing should solve it.

Here is an article I found helpful with my 55! I only does easy green twice a week for 5 pumps and I have mostly anubias and NLJF. I have some decay and deficiency in some of the older leaves from the previous owner I got them from and a lot of the new leaves would yellow quickly so the easy green has helped with that but I'll start dosing iron to help with that and to bring some more pop to my red's. The easy green is helping with some of the yellowing on the older leaves that have no decay since they are getting the nitrates they were deprived of now.

So looks like maybe just some more dosing as the members above have said!

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/which-aquatic-fertilizer-is-right-for-you

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 6:15 PM, Devinl3 said:

Here is an article I found helpful with my 55! I only does easy green twice a week for 5 pumps and I have mostly anubias and NLJF. I have some decay and deficiency in some of the older leaves from the previous owner I got them from and a lot of the new leaves would yellow quickly so the easy green has helped with that but I'll start dosing iron to help with that and to bring some more pop to my red's. The easy green is helping with some of the yellowing on the older leaves that have no decay since they are getting the nitrates they were deprived of now.

So looks like maybe just some more dosing as the members above have said!

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/which-aquatic-fertilizer-is-right-for-you

I agree