How long do you treat pea puffers for before introducing them to a tank?

Lauren_Mele

Hi there! I am looking into getting three pea puffers for my planted 20 gallon tank and was watching some aquarium co-op videos and reading and researching to be well informed before purchasing them. In one of Aquarium co-ops videos he mentioned that most pea puffers are wild caught and should be treated with a trio of medication once you get them. My questions are as follows:

1. what three medications do you use?
  2. do you keep the pea puffers in a  separate tank when treating them if they are in a planted tank or other healthy inhabitant ?
  3. if they are to be held in a separate tank can they be kept together or must they be kept separately ?
  4. how big should the holding tank be?
  5. and finally, for how long should they be on the medication before introducing them into the new tank?

Thank you in advance!!!

35 minutes ago, Lauren_Mele said:

Hi there! I am looking into getting three pea puffers for my planted 20 gallon tank and was watching some aquarium co-op videos and reading and researching to be well informed before purchasing them. In one of Aquarium co-ops videos he mentioned that most pea puffers are wild caught and should be treated with a trio of medication once you get them. My questions are as follows:

1. what three medications do you use?
  2. do you keep the pea puffers in a  separate tank when treating them if they are in a planted tank or other healthy inhabitant ?
  3. if they are to be held in a separate tank can they be kept together or must they be kept separately ?
  4. how big should the holding tank be?
  5. and finally, for how long should they be on the medication before introducing them into the new tank?

Thank you in advance!!!

I beleive the treo he us talking about is the following: API General Cure, API Eurothromycin, Ich X. But most importantly API General Cure

Depending on how many pea puffers you plan on getting you could probably do 3 in 10 Gallons with lots of hiding spots. Yes they can be kept together during treatment. Yes put them in a seperate tank with no other fish, this is called a quarintine tank.

I don't know how long to treat them I'm assuming a week of treating and then continue to quarintine for the next 5 weeks after that week with no treatment (6 weeks total) to make sure you treated all of it.

Week 1: Deworming with API General Cure

Week 2-6: Quarintine and Keep an eye on the puffers

Heres a video cory made that will probably help you more 

Edited by James Black

There are actually some updated meds & instructions for quarantining your new fish.

This is the med trio: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/fish-medicine/products/quarantine-meds-trio

And a more in-depth video here:
https://youtu.be/LrRhfOYfXns

I hope that helps! If you have more questions, please feel free to ask them! 😁