Jump to content

What is the best kind of shrimp to add to a 10 gallon aquarium with White Cloud Mountain minnows?


Bigdog99
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have cherry shrimp in with mine and the white clouds do not bother them. Cherry shrimp will breed and you'll have a lot of them, but they don't overcrowd the tank. 

Something to think about: cherry shrimp often do better in a well-established tank. The major changes in water parameters that can happen in new tanks as well as the fact that all the surfaces in the tank are new and clean make it harder for shrimp to survive. So if you are setting up a new tank, I would wait a month or three before adding shrimp unless I had some old wood, plants, or other tank decor from an older tank that I could pop in there for them.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2024 at 3:56 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I vote amano shrimp though

I've got a 10 gallon tank I'm "aging" to get ready for cherry shrimp.  I'm tempted to add some amano shrimp too with the goal of getting them large enough to add to other tanks to eat algae and detritus.  I know they won't breed without quite a process, but I do think they're fascinating.  Does that sound like a reasonable plan? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2024 at 3:56 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Basically anything. I vote amano shrimp though! They both come from the same rivers I believe. 😉

I agree too! Either one I will see! My 10 gal is taking SOOOOO long to cycle and have to be patient 😔 sadly

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Neocaridina shrimp (aka Cherry Shrimp) should be a good choice. However, your mileage may vary. Cherry shrimp are also much prettier than amanos.

I currently have neos (orange rilis) in a discus tank and believe it or not, both them and the tetras ignore the shrimp. In other instances, I've seen nano fish pick at shrimp and kill them with a death by a thousand cuts.

If you have some kind of moss in the tank or something like a rock pile, this will give the newborn shrimplets a fighting chance to not get gobbled up by your fish.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2024 at 9:08 AM, Sherry said:

I have heard cherry shrimp are easier to keep in the aquarium than Amano shrimp. What kind of lids do you use?

I haven't noticed that either one is easier.  And I don't know that a lid is strictly necessary.  I have ten tanks with shrimp, only one has a lid (mostly to keep the rainbowfish from jumping out), and I rarely find a shrimp that has jumped out.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2024 at 10:08 AM, Sherry said:

I have heard cherry shrimp are easier to keep in the aquarium than Amano shrimp. What kind of lids do you use?

I use the lid that comes with the topfinn starter all in one kit. There is no gaps except a small on by the filter

On 1/19/2024 at 10:25 AM, tolstoy21 said:

Neocaridina shrimp (aka Cherry Shrimp) should be a good choice. However, your mileage may vary. Cherry shrimp are also much prettier than amanos.

I currently have neos (orange rilis) in a discus tank and believe it or not, both them and the tetras ignore the shrimp. In other instances, I've seen nano fish pick at shrimp and kill them with a death by a thousand cuts.

If you have some kind of moss in the tank or something like a rock pile, this will give the newborn shrimplets a fighting chance to not get gobbled up by your fish.

Yes. Believe it or not I don’t want any baby shrimps because I have no live plants….

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2024 at 2:08 AM, reefhugger said:

I know they won't breed without quite a process, but I do think they're fascinating.  Does that sound like a reasonable plan? 

Smaller, yes, but larger, I think the amanos scare the neocaridina.  I ended up pulling mine (they are about 3" long) just to make sure that the actual neos could eat and didn't have feeding issues with the smaller shrimp.

On 1/19/2024 at 7:08 AM, Sherry said:

I have heard cherry shrimp are easier to keep in the aquarium than Amano shrimp. What kind of lids do you use?

Amano shrimp are vastly easier. Like keeping a common pleco, just add water a lot of the time.  I use glass lids with a hinge.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...