Tank maintenance and hand injuries

Maximus

I busted my dominant hand up good, and ended up with a few stitches. No submersing the hand in water, especially fish tank water! It'll take a couple of weeks minimum to get the stitches out, and frankly I need to get water changes done before that. Has anyone dealt with this type of issue? Any tips or modifications you made that helped you out? I've got a power head pump I can use to get water out of the tank, but my hand is also just somewhat useless right now.

"Elbow length rubber gloves" via amazon, for when it's less useless but still has to stay dry. 

image.png.e960b434892d3b905a022ac88b184053.png

Also some kind of "remote control outlet plug" for your pump. Could be a smart plug, with on/off controlled at your phone, or a less "smart" option like this: 

image.png.fca16c3ba106d435b256ad0f862f213b.png

Both found on amazon Canada. 

Also: what size/how many tank? what's the scope of the challenge? 

Also also: to change less water, feed less food. Put your fish on a diet for a week, and skip a water change. 

Edited by TOtrees
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @TOtrees. I have one 55 gallon, a 40 breeder, and seven 10 gallon tanks. The 55 and two 10s were salted for medication, and overdo for getting that out (disease appears gone for a while now). I drastically reduced feeding, and am monitoring water quality on everything and it mostly seems ok for now. Each tank is planted, so I suspect they are doing some heavy lifting for me and doing me a solid.

I'm traveling for work this weekend, so that is why I'm in something of a hurry to do water changes this week vs extending the issue another couple of weeks for when I'm back.

I really like the suggestion for the remote control outlet plug. I've got those Kasa wifi outlets everyone is high on, and I guess the phone can be used as a sort of switch.

On 1/16/2024 at 3:36 PM, Maximus said:

I really like the suggestion for the remote control outlet plug. I've got those Kasa wifi outlets everyone is high on, and I guess the phone can be used as a sort of switch.

I have both (smart plugs that work via phone app, and remote control like I pasted above), and each has its place. I will say that I don't like the smart ones for instant use because the phone will always be asleep right when you need to press the button, and of course there's the risk of a dunk in the tank. 

For the 10s, although it might not be faster, you could use juice pitchers for your changes. Assuming all get the same water, fill a 5 gal bucket or 2 with new treated water, use the pitcher to remove water from all 7 tanks, then refill from the bucket, again using the pitcher. The advantage of the pitcher is that it's completely 1-handed. To add water back into the tank, you just lower the filled pitcher in bottom first (make sure the outside of the pitcher including the bottom is clean), and when its about 3/4 of the way into the tank, slowly rotate it so the water comes out but not as a splash from above. A large pitcher from the dollar store is half a gallon, so 2 pitchers out and 2 pitchers in is a 10% change.

Here's what I use, I must have like 6 of these and it's not uncommon to be using 4-5 at a time on any given evening:

image.png.a0a30492cc1d19d25d3084d72df033bd.png