Flakes, Pellets, Or Granules?

Bay Area Aquatics

I'm curious, as this seems to be a ongoing debate in the hobby. Do you prefer Flake Food, Pellet Food, or Granules? 

I own, buy, and feed all 3 types to my fish, because variety is the spice of life. BUT, Flake foods are hands down my favorite because of how versatile it is. 

If you had to pick one type, whats your favorite and why? 

Can I just answer yes? 🙂

They are sort of all my favorites for different reasons and scenarios. If you were to bend my arm I guess I would say flakes, er no pellets... yeah slow sinking pellets *ouch!* ok pellets. 😉

Easy to target feed with a pellet, they don't break up in the container as much as flake, and some third thing?

But like you, I feed all 3 and don't see that changing anytime soon.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bay Area Aquatics said:

I'm curious, as this seems to be a ongoing debate in the hobby. Do you prefer Flake Food, Pellet Food, or Granules? 

I own, buy, and feed all 3 types to my fish, because variety is the spice of life. BUT, Flake foods are hands down my favorite because of how versatile it is. 

If I had only one choice, it would be a very high quality flake food.    The flakes would slowly cover more "edible" territory, in the tank, for everyone to take a bite, as the rest sinks to the substrate, for the bottom dwellers.  

• Like 1

I have been doing a deep dive into the aquarium nutrition world and can share some youtube links if allowed, and let me start off saying my preference is flake food, but there is a lot of information out there that show flake food is not the best option, the way its made causes it to lose a lot of nutrition and it has parts of it that the fish aren't able to absorb, flakes also lose a lot of nutrition into the water very quickly once it hits the water, pellets are better then flakes apparently but there are other options better then pellets like frozen food. Ben ocharts episode 2 on fish nutrtion explains the waste/digestibility piece really well. Im still learned but really sad because I feed my fish like 5 different types of flake food. Womp womp

• Like 1

I use all of the above.  I try to feed a different food every day.  Flake food is very versatile because it can even be crumbled up to feed to fry.  I didn't have any fry food and a Molly caught be off guard and had some little ones.  I promptly ordered Xtreme Nano from the Co-Op and in the meantime I crumbled some Krill Flakes and crumbled some Bug Bites Tropical.  I would prefer the Flakes though.

• Like 1

I feed flakes, pellets, granules, tabs and I have no preference because most of the time I crush them all into a combined powdery mess.  If I had to choose one, I would probably choose pellets with high greens content because those are a) good for my bigger goldfish; b) can be crushed for smaller omnivores/vegetarians; and c) added to carnivores' diet of mostly live and frozen foods. 

• Like 1

I admittedly am a huge flake fan, but the deeper I dive into this the bigger the no is to flakes unfortunately. I like how easy it is to feed everyone with thr flakes but the lack of nutrition in them does have me concerned about my water pigs I heard the same as you. That they lose most their nutrition into the water in about 5 to 7 seconds.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bay Area Aquatics said:

Pellets and Flake food is my go too but also use granules 

• Like 1